iMac Optical/CD drive scratchy noise

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Pikabuddy, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Pikabuddy macrumors newbie

Hello.

I bought an iMac in 2007 or 2008 (I can't remember) ( It doesn't have a SD card slot if that helps clarify the model). I have had little to no problems with it until now. Recently I've noticed that on occasion, when I put a CD or DVD in the optical drive, the CD will make a series of continuous scratchy noise, as if the CD is scratching something in the hard drive. The volume of the scratchy sound can vary to a slight hum to a loud whirring noise. I actually put in a CD today, and as usual, I have to press the eject CD button on the keyboard several times.(the computer doesn't read it when the noise happens) and when it came out, the CD was scratched and now is unreadable by any DVD player.

Bottom line- Strange noise that occasionally sounds when a CD is put in the optical drive. Any fixes?

Mac os x 10.6. just to throw it out there,

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Sounds like the mechanism in the optical drive went bad and isn't balanced, and therefore is scratching your disk.

3. Pikabuddy thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I fix this?

4. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

easy fix , if it was bought end 2007 beginning 2008 it should still be covered by apple care (if you had been wise to buy apple care that is) , then just bring it to the nearest apple store and get the drive replaced

otherwise buy a new superdrive or combo drive and get it fitted or fit it yourself (cheaper )

5. penduboy macrumors member

Found this old thread.....but I have the same issue with my refurbished 27" i7 2.93GH iMac which I received yesterday. When I put the DVD in the DVD drive slot it make some sort of scratchy (clunky) noise for a while then it is quite and working fine. I found no scratches on the DVD when I got it out.

Anyone out here has noticed this on their iMac....is it normal or there is something wrong with my machine?