Imac options

Discussion in 'iMac' started by massam, Jul 22, 2014.

1. massam macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm a graphic design student and Ive finally saved up enough cash to purchase my own apple computer. Im just wanting some advice on which path to take and what system to buy.

I cant decide if i should buy a 27in iMac or a macbook and and an external monitor. I would prefer the iMac however i will be traveling next year for 6 months and would like to take a macbook over my current PC laptop.

Would I be better to just get the Imac and suffer for the 6 months on the PC and university computers and benefit from the more powerful investment of the Imac.

Sorry if I'm not making much sense but it has been a lot to get my head around.

2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

The retina macbook pro's are quite powerful and the top end 15' has a very capable Nvidia graphics card, however are you comfortable traveling with your 'main' computer? If mobility is very important to you, then the top end 15' retina macbook pro is the clear choice, you can connect any kind of external monitor to it, it has everything you need. The only advantages of the iMac 27" would be storage beyond 1TB, fusion drive capability and RAM beyond 16GB, as far as I can see.