iMac or 13" MBP?

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
As cliché as this may sound...

I currently have a C2D MacBook that doesn't cater to my needs very well anymore. It's very low on disk space so as a result of this, it can lag quite severely.

My initial plan is to buy the iMac, clear the HDD space off the MacBook and then upgrade its RAM to 4GB, so that I can use that as a portable machine still, while the iMac can be my powerful all-in-one at home.

Then again, I get people saying that I'll regret not having the portability of a powerful machine. But after close to 5 years of the same 13-inch screen...I'd like to upgrade to something bigger.

Anyway, I don't know. What's your opinion?

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
As cliché as this may sound...

I currently have a C2D MacBook that doesn't cater to my needs very well anymore. It's very low on disk space so as a result of this, it can lag quite severely.

My initial plan is to buy the iMac, clear the HDD space off the MacBook and then upgrade its RAM to 4GB, so that I can use that as a portable machine still, while the iMac can be my powerful all-in-one at home.

Then again, I get people saying that I'll regret not having the portability of a powerful machine. But after close to 5 years of the same 13-inch screen...I'd like to upgrade to something bigger.

Anyway, I don't know. What's your opinion?
My suggestion would be to get the 13" MacBook Pro and buy a monitor that you can connect it to at home (if you need a desktop machine too).

brendu

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2009
USA
My suggestion would be to get the 13" MacBook Pro and buy a monitor that you can connect it to at home (if you need a desktop machine too).
that is what I have. I almost never use the external except when working on graduate work or research. It is IMO the best setup. Nice to have the screen size when I NEED it, but even better to also have my macbook where I want it when I want it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
"I currently have a C2D MacBook that doesn't cater to my needs very well anymore. It's very low on disk space so as a result of this, it can lag quite severely."

A friend had an older MacBook (actually I think it was an iBook) that was behaving as yours, that is, "slowing down". He had the hard drive replaced and may have had the memory upgraded (not sure about the latter). After spending about $150 on it, he said it was like a new lease on life, much faster and more responsive. It gave the old iBook a few more years of good usage.