iMac or 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by doubleohseven, Jan 19, 2012.

1. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

As cliché as this may sound...

I currently have a C2D MacBook that doesn't cater to my needs very well anymore. It's very low on disk space so as a result of this, it can lag quite severely.

My initial plan is to buy the iMac, clear the HDD space off the MacBook and then upgrade its RAM to 4GB, so that I can use that as a portable machine still, while the iMac can be my powerful all-in-one at home.

Then again, I get people saying that I'll regret not having the portability of a powerful machine. But after close to 5 years of the same 13-inch screen...I'd like to upgrade to something bigger.

Anyway, I don't know. What's your opinion?

2. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

My suggestion would be to get the 13" MacBook Pro and buy a monitor that you can connect it to at home (if you need a desktop machine too).

3. brendu macrumors 68020

that is what I have. I almost never use the external except when working on graduate work or research. It is IMO the best setup. Nice to have the screen size when I NEED it, but even better to also have my macbook where I want it when I want it.

4. emac82 macrumors 6502

Only buy an iMac if you don't need portability....I loved my iMac but I hated being confined to a desk...

5. doubleohseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

6. emac82 macrumors 6502

Congratulations! You'll love it! I didn't realize that you'd be keeping your MB, so now you have the best of both worlds!

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I currently have a C2D MacBook that doesn't cater to my needs very well anymore. It's very low on disk space so as a result of this, it can lag quite severely."

A friend had an older MacBook (actually I think it was an iBook) that was behaving as yours, that is, "slowing down". He had the hard drive replaced and may have had the memory upgraded (not sure about the latter). After spending about $150 on it, he said it was like a new lease on life, much faster and more responsive. It gave the old iBook a few more years of good usage.