iMac or a mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mark1k, Oct 12, 2007.

1. mark1k macrumors newbie

I need some advice quick. My mom is coming to town today and wants to go buy a new computer. She is debating between an imac and a mini.

She only needs to use a browser, email and word processing. She also wants to ability to create slideshows using photos and music and burn them to DVD.

I am unsure if the mini can handle the slideshow creation without overtaxing the system.

Also, she probably needs a new monitor her current one is about 8 years old.
    The mini costs $599 and a 20" cinema display is $599. That is $1200 which is the same price as a 24" imac.

I guess she could buy a cheaper monitor somewhere else but Im just not sure she would be saving all that much.

Do you think she out to go ahead and splurge for the imac 24"?

PS I also own the new Imac 24" and love it.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

There's nothing keeping from buying a cheaper LCD. :rolleyes:

3. sananda macrumors 68020

no. unless she particularly wants a screen that big. wouldn't the 20" do?

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

If she needs a new display, then the iMac may be the way to go. If she doesn;t want to spend quite that much, there's always the 20" iMac as well which would meet her needs just fine as well - for her needs, a 24" display definitely isn't required!

That being said, a mini would probably meet her needs as well, and the iMac may actually be overkill. If you crunch the numbers though and the costs end up being close (again, since you mentioned she needs a new display as well) then the iMac is definitely your best bet.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It looks like the refurbished 1.83 GHz Core 2 Mac mini is up again for $499.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Stop this now. This is your mommy. No talk of minis or refurbs. She cleaned your arse for gawd sake. You get mom a sexy 20" iMac with wireless kb and mouse so she has no unsightly wires on her desk. And then tell her how much you love her. :p

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

But do we know who's buying the computer?

Why do you think that?

8. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

The only reason to go for the mini over 20" iMac is if you already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse for it. Otherwise, 20" iMac is the way to go although either will perform great for the purposes you listed.

9. Drile macrumors member

Also, even though the lcd is obviously integrated into the iMac, you won't be dissapointed with the life span of the computer.

10. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

K, integrated graphics suck, but not THAT bad. Trust me, it will take a lot to make the mini studder, unless she's gonna be playing Games. For general use (anything except games and some pro apps) the mini will be pleeenty fast. Faster than ALL dells at that price range. But I'd get a Dell LCD, because Apple seriously charges some pretty crazy prices for their screens.

11. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

You've solved your own problem. The $599 mini includes a combo drive, so if she wants to burn DVDs she'll need the $799 Mini. iMac 20" is a far better buy than a high end mini + monitor.