Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
As someone who did photography back in the film days, I had invested in Nikon and certainly paid the "Nikon tax." What I did get were cameras that lasted many many years and performed very well. There were newer cameras that came out but the original camera I purchased, kept going and going.

We don't live in these days anymore. Marketing models either by choice or changes in technology are designed up front for obsolescence. Apple is a perfect example of this practice with their computers. They really don't want us to keep a computer beyond 2-3 years without getting another newer model. Locked down hardware with minimal ability to upgrade encourages the practice of replacement. This also allows, as I have stated often, form over function. Mac computers are elegant in design and looks but required trade offs.

I'll remain with my Mac Minis (2.0 and 2.6 quads) along with my rMBP for now. When they are no longer useful, I doubt I'll return to get another Mac if they continue the direction they are going.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.