iMac or Custom Build for Graphic Design and Gaming

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dondon4720, Jun 6, 2015.

1. dondon4720, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015

dondon4720 macrumors member

I have a MacBook Air and I absolutely love it, I like OSX over Windows I and I find myself using my MacBook more often than my gaming laptop I keep docked at my desk.

I am a console and PC gamer (Simulators, FPS, and RPGs) and I am going to school for graphic design. So the 5k screen will really help with that but I feel that the GPU is holding the machine back, I though about investing in a MacPro but the FirePro GPUs are not really optimized for gaming.

I really don't want to build a hackintosh. So what should I do, go with iMac, Custom, or Mac Pro??:)

My budget is $4000 and that is with about $1000 in accessories ( and monitors if I go custom or Mac Pro)

2. yjchua95, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015

yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you have a Mac that fully supports UEFI 2.0 (basically any Mac that supports PCIe SSDs), then you can just go down the eGPU route and game on your MacBook Air.

Visit here: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6689-[guide]-2013-15-macbook-pro-gtx780ti@20gbps-tb2-sonnet-echo-express-iii-d-win8.html and http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/7685-2013-11-macbook-air-titan@10gbps-tb1-sonnet-ee-iii-d-osx10-9-4-[-kryzaach].html

The steps will be identical for all Macs that are UEFI 2.0-compliant. So far, the Sonnet IIID seems to be the best (and also the priciest).

3. MikeArtworks macrumors regular

I'm having the same problem.

I can get:

--- ACER Predator = 1700 euro
    + Intel i7 quad core 3.4 ghz with turbo 3.9 ghz.
    + 16 gb ram
    + 256 gb ssd + 1 tb hdd
    + Geforce GTX 980 4gb GDDR5
    + Windows

OR

--- APPLE iMac 21.5 inch = 1450 Euro
    + Intel i5 quad core 2.9 GHz with turbo 3.6 ghz.
    + 8 gb Ram
    + 1TB 5400rpm HDD (I have an external SSD 128 gb)
    + NVIDEA GT 750M
    + Mac OS

And I can't decide..

4. Serban Suspended

5. MikeArtworks macrumors regular

What would you do?

For:

Graphic design
    World of warcraft, Starcraft, Bioshock infinite, LoL and Overwatch
    Youtube & Browsing

One of those above options

6. Serban Suspended

For those games no need for 980 so the iMac is more elegant and simple computer...no more cables and wired things...
    But Overwatch is out already? i thought it will be next year or so

7. MikeArtworks macrumors regular

Yeah, it's not out yet. I'm just sure I'm going to play it haha.

Also, do you think that iMac will do for 3/4 years?

Or should I go with the other one, and hackintosh it.

Keep in mind, I also have a mac rMBP.

8. dondon4720 thread starter macrumors member

The games I play (an want to play) are:
    Sims 3
    Cities skylines
    Fallout 4
    Farcry 4
    Star wars Battlefront
    GTA V
    Diablo 3
    Starcraft 2
    Bioshock Infinate
    Batman arkham series

I am leaning toward the retina iMac I guess the deciding factor will come after WWDC on monday

Then for graphic design I would be using the adobe suite mostly.

9. MikeArtworks macrumors regular

I don't think the retina iMac will be great at GTA or Fallout or Star wars, atleast, not at a reasonable resolution for it. I'd recommend a good pc/game pc, and hackintosh it.

EDIT: Saw that you din't want a hackintosh. nvm.

10. MikeArtworks macrumors regular

I want a iMac too.. Though it has a worse gpu than I now have, so I'm not sure what to do..

Can get a super high spec pc with gtx 980 4gb ddr5

11. Serban Suspended

if you want an iMac with a decent GPu get the 27" with M295X

12. MikeArtworks macrumors regular

Too expensive. My budget is max 1800.

13. Serban Suspended

Wait then until the 4k iMac will be release and see what gpu will get

14. dondon4720 thread starter macrumors member

Why would they make a 4k when they already have a 5k??

15. Serban Suspended

5k is the 27" iMac, they still need the 21.5" and that will be 4k

16. dondon4720 thread starter macrumors member

It wouldnt make sense to make a 21.5" 4k screen the screen is too small for you to get the most out of it. Maybe retina but not 4k

17. Serban Suspended

Seems that you don't know Apple very well and the aspect screen...5k was overkill for 27" based on what you say but they did it because is very easy for them to double the pixel number than making a specific one and mess up all the apps OSX etc....so the 21.5" iMac will be 4k for sure double the 1080p

18. dondon4720 thread starter macrumors member

You have a point ;):D

back on topic

Should I go custom or should I get a Mac. Would a Mac Pro with d500s do well gaming? Hopefully we will get some better specs for both machines tomorrow at WWDC. Can't watch the keynote live I have to work. :(:(

19. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

If I were you i'd get a refurb decked out 5K iMac. Refurbs are as good if not better than new and they arrive in absolutely immaculate condition. I'd never buy new if I can get the spec i'm after. Ask anyone on this forum and they will tell you the exact same thing. Never understood why people like pc gaming so much. I get the mods, graphics, maybe you prefer keyboard and mouse. I had a decked out gaming pc with a 3930k, 16gb ram, 2xgtx 680's and I absolutely hated playing games on the thing. Games actually quit occasionally and going through all the drivers and everything it's a pain in the neck. Consoles may not have as good of graphics and the frames per second may be lower but it's plug and play. I grew up with consoles though and will never go back unless they fix some serious issues. Like I said i'd get an iMac which you can still play games on if you boot into windows and lower the resolution and steam does have some mac games and use the rest of the cash to get some games for console.

20. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Because pixel-doubling the display of the 21.5" iMac to achieve retina would produce a perfect 4K display. The 21.5" iMac has a 1920x1080 display, pixel-doubling it in both directions to achieve retina would result in 3840x2160 - 4K.

21. dondon4720, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015

dondon4720 thread starter macrumors member

I am a console gamer at heart ( have everything from current gen back to NES) but there are some games that I enjoy more on the pc and my friends have pc and I enjoy playing with them. I have a big enough budget to not have to buy a referb that was the other guy who posted in the thread, I am the original starter :)

Thanks for the help guys will post back tomorrow after wwdc, we will have to see :)

22. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

I could have unlimited funds and still go with a refurb. They're last years models clearing inventory or 14 day returns which have been tested rigorously for defects of any kind. You're more likely to get a machine with no issues if it's a refurb than brand new. They can't rigorously test every one on the assembly line. I have had OCD my entire life and a single scratch, ding, backlight bleeding, a defect of any kind would drive me up a wall but all my refurbs have been perfect without any issues. You get a 14-day return policy, standard one year warranty, and can get apple care. Unless you can buy a completely spec'd out machine and not think anything of it i'd go with a refurb and get more spec for the money when it's exactly the same as new except for the box. But if you're dead set on new than the machine you get you'll be very happy with.

23. omenatarhuri macrumors 6502a

All that being said, the box is pretty awesome. Apple does the best packaging.

24. dondon4720 thread starter macrumors member

Well there were no new Mac announcements this morning so I guess I am stuck waiting until the right time. Lucky I haven't saved all of the money up yet.

25. MikeArtworks macrumors regular

Hey , I know right.

I'm getting the newer mid 2015 Retina iMac (released like a week ago). That thing is sick, specs are great and it's very new.

Skylane won't matter much for desktops, so screw that.