Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Should I buy an iMac or iPad? I mostly work at home and I work in the desktop publishing business. Does anyone expect a new iMac to be released in the next 6 months or so or has it been upgraded? I kind of like the new 27 inch model but not sure what kind of reviews it has gotten.

Also, which iPad is the best one to get for just email, browsing the Internet, Facebook, and showing photos?

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Should I buy an iMac or iPad? I mostly work at home and I work in the desktop publishing business. Does anyone expect a new iMac to be released in the next 6 months or so or has it been upgraded? I kind of like the new 27 inch model but not sure what kind of reviews it has gotten.

Also, which iPad is the best one to get for just email, browsing the Internet, Facebook, and showing photos?

Based on the MacRumors Buyer's Guide, the iMac is mid-cycle, which means that a new one will probably be released in 8 or 9 months. Personally, I would go for it.

As far as an iPad is concerned, no one should even be considering the iPad 2 anymore, and Apple doesn't sell the third gen anymore. Going off of what you said you wanted it for, a retina iPad Mini would most likely be your best bet. It's very portable, and the retina display makes photos look stunning.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

For the working at home, you would want an iMac as an iPad just wouldn't do the job.

As for the iPad, go in to an Apple store and play with the Retina iPad mini and with the iPad Air and see which one you like better.

Mac2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Internet, email, word processing, youtube, chatting, showing favorite photos from iPhoto album, accounting, etc.

Don't do gaming or video editing.

babens

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
I've been quite comfortable with 16GB on my iPad. I keep very little music on there (that goes on my phone for day to day use, and I have an iPod Classic for times when I want my entire library with me), and I will load a movie or two on to it for long flights, but then delete them back off of it once I watch them. So if you are planning on a similar plan (little to no music, no long term storage of a lot of video content) then 16GB will probably work for your needs.

RCAFBrat

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2013
Montreal, QC
16GB or 32GB WiFi model?

I went with the LTE version since it includes GPS (don't have built-in or dedicated portable GPS receiver for the car) that can be used without a data plan as long as you download the route beforehand & stick to it or have an app with the map(s) you need. I did end up getting an inexpensive pay as you go data plan for when I take my iPad with me although it isn't a necessity (do like having the data plan now that I have it although it is rarely used - definitely glad I went for the upgrade and not just WiFi).

Had to check capacity!

Is 32 GB with about 14 GB free - I am surprised I am using that much since there is no music on it although I think there may be a whole season of a sitcom I downloaded for my wife & kids.

All in all I am very happy with the iPad 4th gen.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.