Price Advice iMac or Mac Book Pro | designer and developer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Evil Beejeebers, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Evil Beejeebers macrumors newbie

Hi boys and girls

I am not as evil as my name, and I am planning on dipping my feet in Mac waters. I am a fairly competent computer user and am not fazed by desktop environments or command prompt interfaces.

My knowledge of hardware is kind of poor and I am not certain what to go for. I know I can get a pretty nippy PC for a fraction of the cost but I feel a Mac probably comes bundled with good software that negates the price somewhat.

I was thinking an iMac or a a Mac Book Pro, but I don't know what configurations offer the best value. I am also a student if I went for the iMac would I also be able to get a discount on a Mac Book Air?

Am I better getting both the processor and the ram upgraded?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would do a 15 MacBook Pro with Retina Display. Essentially, buy as much computer as you can afford when it comes to Apple. From what I've seen, Apple doesn't do a lot of "useless" upgrades. Also, when buying a Mac, remember what the cost of the new software is going to be to factor into your budget! Best of luck to you.

3. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

if the retina 15 mbp price is too high for you, try to find the classic mbp 15 from 2012
    it is fast enough and i'm sure its quite cheaper now.

i'm suggesting 15 mbp + external monitor and keyboard for your needs.