iMac or Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ranny2, Oct 2, 2011.

1. ranny2 macrumors member

Hi there,

I have a bit of a dilemma as I really cannot decide which Mac to get. I am a student, and my uses are:
    Web browsing,
    document editing,
    YouTube,
    Photo editing (not PhotoShop, just iPhoto or Aperture)

As I am a student, money is quite tight. Here are my options:

iMac 21.5" Refurbished (2011)
    £849

Mac Mini 2.3GHz, RAM upgrade, new Microsoft mouse and keyboard and use with my existing monitor (Dell 19" 1280x1024)
    £550

I am really not sure which one to get. Part of me is towards the iMac as it is more powerful and looks amazing and comes with the Apple keyboard and mouse.

Part of me however is towards the Mini as it is much cheaper, leaves money over to buy other tech (the new cheaper iPhone if Apple releases one) and software. Also, the Mini is cheaper to upgrade in the future. What I mean by that is if you just want a new monitor, it is cheap or if a 2012 Mini comes out, it would be a cheaper upgrade than an entire new iMac!

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

2. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Since you already have a display, a Mac Mini is a good choice in consideration of your tight budget. Apple has made the Mac Mini a pretty powerful desktop machine.

3. ranny2 thread starter macrumors member

OK, thanks for your response. My monitor isn't great, and would be absolutely no match to the 21.5" display of the iMac, but I guess it works for me.

4. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

If you plan to keep it for a couple years or so, the iMac.

If the budget is really tight, the Mac Mini. Either system will work for your needs, but I like the iMac with it's great display, All-in-one profile, less hassle (except when upgrading).

5. ranny2 thread starter macrumors member

I do plan on keeping it for a couple of years until I go to university, when I will probably get a MacBook Pro, however I think the current Mini will be fine for that long. Also, as I mentioned, upgrading specific parts of the Mini setup (computer itself, monitor etc) is much cheaper with the Mini than the iMac.

6. rogan macrumors regular

i'd reccomend the iMac, you wont have any regrets then

(and as a student id try get a uni student if ur not one to buy new iMac as its £20 more than refurb and 3 years applecare)

7. eric/ Guest

eric/

Just get the iMac. Sell your extra monitor/mouse/keyboard

8. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

i just ran through the same situation. I had an existing older mac mini. 1.8 C2d that I had upgraded to a SSD and maxed the ram. I was looking for an upgrade and instantly looked at the new Mac Minis. But the quad core in the iMac caught my eye eventually.

As others have stated the Mini works great in your budget restraints, but as time goes on and you want to do more and more with it, you will wish you got the iMac. Sell the other peripherals or keep the other monitor for a 2nd monitor if you ever move to Photoshop or anything then you have a pallet monitor. Plus dual screen set ups are just cool. lol

9. ranny2 thread starter macrumors member

My monitor, mouse and keyboard are really worth nothing. This is such a hard choice.

10. Ironsoccerman macrumors member

If I may..

How about trying the MacBook pro 13?

Buy an adapter to use with the monitor, and you cam be portable...

11. ranny2 thread starter macrumors member

I have considered that, however it would cost the same as the iMac, but doesn't have the power. As I mentioned, I have an iPad so I really don't need portability.
    I am still really stuck between the iMac and the Mac Mini, please, please - I need all your help!
    Whatever I choose to go for, I will be spending a lot of money, and don't want to get this wrong.

12. weckart macrumors 68040

If money is tight, then keep a beady eye on PCWorld/Curry's eBay outlet store. There have been some stonking deals on refurbs there within the last couple of weeks.

E.g.
    MC510 for £879.00 (27" iMac i3)
    MC511 for £627.40!! (27" iMac i5)
    MC508 for £527.62 (21.5" iMac i3)
    MC207 for £417.44 (White Macbook)

These literally go in minutes so you have to be on the ball.

13. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

You won't regret buying the iMac. If you had a display that you loved I would say to get the mini, but as it seems that you would be happy to see the back of your display, the iMac makes sense.