iMac or Mac Mini

Discussion in 'iMac' started by buu11235, Nov 8, 2011.

1. buu11235 macrumors newbie

I am looking to upgrade my computer (currently have a MacBook) and I had a few questions about my options.

Option 1: Mac Mini

2.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    500GB Serial ATA Drive
    AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB GDDR5

Option 2: iMac (21.5 inch)

2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
    4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    500GB Serial ATA Drive
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512MB GDDR5

So this computer will be my main working computer. The two big programs I intend to use are Photoshop (nothing too intensive though), and OriginLab(and/or other similar programs). I like having multiple programs running at the same time (excel+word+browser+etc).

As far as gaming, I'm looking to be able to play Diablo 3 on med-high graphics settings with a good frame rate. That and maybe PSO2 will be the only games I intend to play on it.

My questions are
    -Which option is the best bet for my needs?
    -As I understand, the i7 processor has virtual cores, so I wonder how those compare to the real cores of the i5.
    -Would this keyboard work with either set up?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126197
    -Would adding more RAM make a significant difference in performance? I would plan on getting RAM else where since it's considerably cheaper.

Thanks for any help/advice.

2. deafgoose macrumors regular

deafgoose

I had the same dilemma and went with the mini.

When a new mini becomes available, I can sell the one I have and upgrade to the newest model for pretty cheap.

I also love how easy they are to work on. I can replace the RAM in 60 seconds and the HD in 5mins.

I HIGHLY recommend that you upgrade the ram to 8GB for OS X Lion

3. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Unless you are planning a "stop gap" the iMac is faster and would last you longer. Hyperthreading is great but real cores are better. And so is a desktop HDD vs. the 2.5" laptop drive in the mini.
    The Mac Mini is essentially a Macbook Pro 13".
    2.7GHz i7 Dual Core: 6796
    2.5GHz i5 Quad Core: 7185

For your games the iMac is also quite a bit faster with it's graphics. Maybe even 2x faster.
    They keyboard should work fine as well. Except for that darn Windows key:)
    Logitech drivers have been known to kernel panic some Mac's, fyi.

4. i4Collin macrumors regular

I second this. Go with the iMac. It's worth the money.

5. rossip macrumors regular

I too would recommend the iMac, but you may want to hold off on purchase now, as the current model is approaching the end of its refresh cycle.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Also, in case you didn't know, the iMac comes standard with apple's bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse. Any generic 3 button usb mouse would be preferable for gaming, though.

For ram, I'd recommend OWC. They offer the best quality to price ratio for aftermarket upgrades IMO. You could upgrade the iMac to 12GB for $55.97 right now.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac

6. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

I vote for the imac too, a lot more processing power in that puppy, and a lot more room to upgrade.

7. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

It depends on your display situation too.

However, in general, I agree. I love my mini Server, but that is out of the question for you, since you game too.

The iMacs have been out for a while though.

Good luck with the decision. I still love the iMacs.

8. samual123 macrumors newbie

I just have a little bit confusion that So this computer will be my main working computer. The two big programs I intend to use are Photoshop (nothing too intensive though), and OriginLab(and/or other similar programs). I like having multiple programs running at the same time (excel+word+browser+etc).As far as gaming, I'm looking to be able to play Diablo 3 on med-high graphics settings with a good frame rate. That and maybe PSO2 will be the only games I intend to play on it.

9. buu11235 thread starter macrumors newbie

So it sounds like the iMac is the best choice/worth the price.

I will definitely get a different mouse, as i've never like the Apple mice. I will test the keyboard first to see how I like it.

As for ugrading RAM, the OWS site seems like a sweet deal. I will definitely upgrade from the base RAM option. I assume upgrading is a simple matter of plugging in the new chip in the slot?

And Samual123, I'm not sure what the issue is. Elaborate please?

Thanks all for the advice.

10. rossip macrumors regular

Yes, the ram upgrade process is very simple. OWC actually has video tutorials for ram upgrades for all modern macs (and a ton of the old ones).

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/imac_mid_2011/

11. buu11235 thread starter macrumors newbie