iMac or Mac Mini

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Nyy8, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Hey guys, im really stuck here. Im not sure if I should get a Mac Mini or an iMac. I would love the nice 21.5 inch display, as I have a Dell 17' monitor from 2005. but im not sure if i need a quad core processor, it seems a little too much. My main uses:

Netflix streaming, Youtube HD (720p possible?)

Sims 3 and Star wars empire at war (always wanted to play these games when i was little but due to my computer I can't)

Minecraft (with sever software running at the same time maybe 5 players max)

Basic flash and forum web browsing

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 with a 2.8 ghz P4, with only 2GB of ram. So anything would be a big upgrade to me. Keep in mind, I would also be buying a keyboard and mouse from apple (love them). Im lost on how much a processor is able to do now a days. and would just love some options.

Thanks
    Jake

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

"it seems a little too much."

as in too expensive?

3. Nyy8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

4. fa8362 macrumors 65816

I don't get it.

Those two products are nothing alike. One is all about being "small, easy to move, and less expensive" the other is all about being "all in one," and is significantly faster, and more expensive.

Pick the one that better suits your needs. You obviously don't need an iMac, but if you want one, get it.

5. Nyy8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Im just trying to ask if the mini is enough? for what i do... like the Sims 3 and Star wars empire at war

6. fa8362 macrumors 65816

I know little about gaming, but others who post here do, so I'm sure someone will let you know.

7. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

get whichever one saves you money and you can live with
    it sucks being broke

8. Nyy8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

err I know... im 13 and wish I could get a job >.>

9. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

I think a new Mini would MORE than suit your needs. I love mine and it has never failed to perform well at a task I've asked of it. Then, you can pick your own monitor (matte screen maybe?) and decide if you really need an external optical drive (you don't).

10. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

well maybe not need the $80 apple drive, but you can pick up a cheaper external dvd used or new for cheaper

I'm using this one i got for $15

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. aComicBookFan macrumors member

I was in a similar quandary and I decided on an iMac. It wasn't very logical what I did to decide to get the iMac. I added up the prices of all the external components I would need to buy to make the Mini equivalent to an iMac and I saw that the price was almost equal if not higher. Sure, you can get lower quality monitors and used external DVD drives but it's not the same. I would always be left thinking "what if" with a Mini.

I got the 21.5" 2.7 GHz model and it's a perfect fit for me. It has a 1 TB drive and I knew I needed the space. I didn't want to futz too much with DIY hardware upgrades - at least not right after the initial purchase.

-=- Boris

12. Oldmanmac macrumors 6502

*I* understand what you're asking and had similar thoughts.
    I went with the iMac more for upward mobiity. Mountain Lion will be the last OS for the mini, I believe.

However iMacs from 2006 are still viable.

My $0.02

:cool::cool:

13. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I would go with the iMac I can say from experience that they are awesome machines. The mini is nice but the iMac is just better, plus its all in one which is nice. With the mini is cheaper, you will get more with the iMac, plus while you have a display as you said its getting olders and the display on the iMac is excellent. When I purchased my iMac I also looked at a mini and went with the iMac because I really like the all in one, and after adding up the cost for all the peripherals for the mini the iMac was just the way to go. I have to say I couldn't be happier with my choice, I just love it its a great machine and works flawlessly with my MBP and MBA. Anyway thats just my $0.02.

14. Viking23 macrumors member