iMac Or Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nathannew2009, Aug 10, 2013.

1. nathannew2009 macrumors newbie

Im torn between getting an iMac (21.5 2.9 i5 650M) or a Mac Mini (2.3 i7 Hd4000) with a decent monitor (Dell 2412M).

My main use is going to be photo organisation and editing with photoshop / lightroom.

I will have several of my images printed and want them to look similar to what I see on my display.

Also the odd bit of light gaming (sims 3 mainly).

Please help.

What would be better and why?

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

iMac, the hyper threading trade off for faster gpu is worth it. Hd4000 is nice but the 650m is twice as fast for gaming

3. nathannew2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

The iMac was the way I was looking too, what is putting me off is not being able to upgrade the ram or storage easily after purchase.

Im also not sure what the colours are like from screen to print.

4. COrocket macrumors 6502

That was the main reason I got the mini. Replaceable RAM and two internal hard drive slots is pretty sweet for a machine that size. I've heard the iMac screens are pretty good but I'd imagine that selecting your own screen is a plus when you need the best color accuracy.

5. nathannew2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

When it comes to the i7 2.3ghz mac mini what is the difference between the standard one and the one marked with OSX server other than the extra hard drive?

Im presuming I don't want server just maybe add another hard drive to the normal one?

6. COrocket macrumors 6502

There are some server applications included in the server model, but they can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for a reasonable price (I think around $20) so you basically get a $75 extra drive, data cable which is in the OWC kit for $30, and the $20 software. So you are looking at $125 in extras that apple will sell you for $200 extra, which is pretty normal markup. If you don't know that you need it, then you probably don't, and non-server minis still have the capability to add 2nd drives if you want.

7. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

If your going to play Sims 3 only use Windows, it runs like crap in OS X.

I'd also suggest an iMac.

8. MrGIS macrumors regular

I went with the mini for two primary reasons.

1. I already had a Dell display (2412M) that I was very happy with, carried over from my Macbook Pro.

2. The ability to easily add an SSD and RAM. I just wasn't interested in the major surgery required of the iMac.

I have a 2011 quad core mini (server) and performance is excellent, particularly with 16 GB of RAM and the new SSD. The new models included a quad core machine without server if that is not important to you.

I don't play many games, with the exception of angry birds, so I can't comment there.

Good Luck with your decision. :apple::apple:

9. nathannew2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies here everyone, I think im going to wait a little longer and then get the imac (just make sure I get the correct spec when I buy). Thanks

10. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

I love my 2008 iMac, but when it croaks, I'll probably get a Mini, if that product is still around. One reason is upgradeability. Another is repairability. The third is to get a display bigger than what's available with an iMac.

11. spatlese44 macrumors 6502

Bumping up the specs on an iMac should solve your upgrade concerns, though now that you mention waiting... a haswell based Mac Mini is just around the corner. Whatever you do, a fusion drive is a good idea.