Imac or Mac mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by supa-geek, Jan 7, 2014.

1. supa-geek macrumors newbie

Hi all,

First of all, I hope I am not asking for things already explicited before.

I have a great Macbook Pro (not the last but it is working perfectly for my mobile needs)

Now, I would like to get a strong workstation but for a cheap price with a big screen (cos working on MBP 13' is so hard...)

Also, I do not want to work so much time on MBP on battery charge ( I do not like that).

So I was thinking to buy Mac Mini or Imac (second hand).
    I have some doubts regarding the Mini :core i5 is really strong, or should I buy the core i7 version.
    After all this upgrade (processor) : it is not better to buy an iMac regarding the total price (including the Monitor screen purchase).

I working a lot with virtualisation ( RedHat virtual machine : 5 machines)... so I need also a lot of RAM.

But I really hesitating between the mac mini core i5 (the basic) and just add RAM or buy an Imac second hand core i7...

2. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

Mac Mini

Get a Mac Mini, you can upgrade it..I had a 24 in IMac it would freeze up a lot.

3. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

4. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

After owning 2 iMacs and 3 Mac Mini's, I's say get a Mac Mini because of it's easily upgraded RAM and Hard Drive options. Plus, you get to choose or upgrade your monitor in the future. I personally would never buy an iMac again.

5. danny_w macrumors 601

Agreed. I just bought an i7 mini and monitor (32" tv) to replace a late 2007 24" iMac and get something that I could also plug my work laptop into. Works great for me and a huge performance upgrade as well.

6. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I've got my base mid 2011 mini (8 mb's of ram) plugged into my bedroom's 40" Samsung HDTV with a decent surround sound system and I couldn't be happier. I basically surf the internet, email, and watch movies I've converted to MP4's from my bed using a Logitech K750 wireless keyboard and MX Anywhere Mouse. This setup works incredibly well.
    BTW, I'm buying the next gen Mac Mini when and if it comes out... Hopefully there will be a new one...

7. Che Castro macrumors 603

8. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I prefer the external monitor option. I get a great, large display when at home and I don't have to worry about where my data is when traveling. Trying to keep 2 computers in sync is a pain.