iMac or Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cheekybobcat, Apr 2, 2008.

1. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

Okay...Ever since I got my MacBook, I have driven my family towards the Apple side of the spectrum. Our previous PC which was so screwed up that we just decided to throw it out and so we are now in the computer buying field.
    I have looked at both the iMac and the Mac Mini but I'm not really sure which one to get..
    Here is all my family really needs...
    1. At least 160GB HD
    2. 2G Mem
    Would it be worth buying a Mac Mini and probably ending up having to buy an external hard drive or should we just go with the iMac...
    Any suggestions are welcome..
    Thanks!

2. chocolate632 macrumors 6502

I would just get and iMac. I have one and you just don't get the full 'Apple' experience if you have to use a pc monitor/peripherals.

3. PNW macrumors regular

It really depends on what you are planning to do with the computer. If you just want to surf the web, check email, listen to music, edit snapshots, watch movies, etc. The mini would be a solid choice. It costs substantially less less than the iMac and your current monitor is likely better than the ones they're currently using for the iMacs. However I would hold off on a mini until they are updated (should be any week now), as the current chip-set is way behind the times.

4. cherrybomb macrumors regular

cherrybomb

I second that! I've persuaded my mum to get a mac mini to replace the family pc.