iMac or Mac Pro: Editing, Vista, UT III

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TantalizedMind, Sep 13, 2007.

1. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Hey guys!

I have a Single 1.8Ghz PowerMac G5. Looking to buy REAL SOON! I will be using the Mac for Photo and Audio editing, plus minor, everyday apps. I will be installing Vista for gaming.

Oh.. the dreaded Mac / Gaming wars. Haha. THEE ONLY game I will be playing is UT III. Which will require some power. I want a Mac Pro, but my bank account rather have the iMac.

I love the idea of a close look-alike G5/Pro setup, but I'd rather be proficient. I'd be getting a 20" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac with 4GB ram. Or one of the cheaper Mac Pro models.

If the iMac will be fine for Vista, editing, iWork, surfing, and being dependable for 3-4 years I'll go that road. But I cringe at the lack of expandability. [Insert whining for Apple to make a mid-range tower.] If the Mac Pro will meet my needs more, and better expandability, than I'll have to smash the good ole' piggy bank.

What is YOUR suggestion.

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I'd say you just blow it one the MP, just for the sake of having an awesome machine... but that's what I'd do, I like powa! You might be better suited with the iMac 'cause it's a fair bit cheaper. It's hardly as expandable, and from what I heat the GFX cards just suck for gaming... but I am not gamer, you are, and thus, you would know your needs better than I.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Read the forums and educate yourself as to the capabilities of the new iMac. The Mobility Radeon HD 2600XT in the mid-range 20" is a very capable card and second only to the 8700m GT in the current generation mobile cards.

4. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Coming from your current machine I would recommend getting the iMac. You will save yourself a ton of cash...UT will run great and its going to be significantly faster than your current setup either way.