iMac or Mac Pro with Display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bucyaj, May 13, 2011.

1. bucyaj macrumors newbie

As per the title really. I used to have a 2008 iMac but sold it in favour of a 13" MBP in 2009. I really like the MBP, especially its size, most of the time. It's nice to have the freedom to take it to a coffee shop and such.

However, I am coming to write my MA dissertation and forgot what a PAIN it is writing large documents on a small screen. Spending 6+ hours a day squinting at a 13" screen is driving me nuts!

So, I either want to get a display (probably a 2nd hand 24" cinema display as 27" would be far too big) as that would be plug and play (plus if I wanted to hook up an xbox etc. at a later date I could use a Kanex XD) or sell the MBP, unwillingly, for another iMac. Another possibility would be getting hold of an older iMac and having the two, like before, but knowing I'd hardly ever use the MBP. I don't like the idea of the latter option but it would mean if one machine broke down I'd have another to keep going on.

Thanks for reading anyway, any thoughts?

Jake

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just get an external display for your MBP. Don't get the Apple one if you want to connect an Xbox to it. While Apple monitors are nice, they aren't worth the extra, especially if you want to use it for something else.

3. hsj2011 macrumors regular

I too would go for the external screen. Unless you can find a good deal on a used 24" cinema display, I'd go for something like a Dell U2411

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I'd definitely keep the MBP and go for an external display. That's the setup I have. I love the portability of my MBP, but when I do my graphic design work, I connect to a 24" Viewsonic display. It works out great.

5. bucyaj thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies,

It seems the general consensus is to keep the MBP and grab a monitor and get the best of both worlds.

No love for the apple displays though? I'll take a look at some of those you guys have suggested...

Thanks again!

Jake

6. Seo macrumors regular

Yup, getting a monitor for your MBP sounds like a good idea. One of the biggest differences for me between laptops and desktops is the screen real estate, and having an extra screen solves that problem.

As for the ACDs, in the right context I think they're fine. They're priced same as the competition; 27" ACD is the same price/panel as Dell's offering, which is less shiny (not aluminum, matte screen). It just lacks the connection options. The old 30" ACD has always been great.

But the thing is these are high end IPS screens built for professional graphics work, not gaming. Response times on IPS will always be much slower than the much cheaper TN panels, which are best for gaming. Color accuracy and off-angle viewing is hardly important in fast paced gaming, so if you want to hook your Xbox up to it and you don't do any graphics work, the ACDs aren't the right choice. Dell has plenty of large sized (24" range) TN panels for under $200, I'd start looking there.

7. hsj2011 macrumors regular

It's not that I don't love the apple displays because I do. I think it's just that if you want to use it for some gaming, you're better off with something with more connectivity. If you're just using it as a monitor, the ACD's are perfect and when I've got my wedding out of the way, I'll definately be getting one to go with the Mac Mini I'm getting :)