iMac or Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ephermal, Sep 10, 2010.

1. ephermal macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    I have been saving up for a MAC for a long time; I used to own a G5 Desktop and I loved it. I got really into gaming so switched to PC and now only game casual or on my xbox 360. So my question is for a person who casually games (I play starcraft 2; and possible CIV 5; and maybe the old republic (MMO) ); what would be better for do you think. On another note does anyone have the new iMac (i5) and let me know how it works.

I am looking at the top of the line iMac and the bottom of the line Mac Pro. It would be nice to save the 500.00 but in a year I don't want to regret saying man I should have bought the better one.
    Also I would like to purchase it through best buy cause I have close to 200.00 in reward zone certificates / gift cards which would help bring down the price a lot in my case.

Any suggestions; I am torn between the two and would like to get it soon but cannot make a decision.'

thanks

Jerry

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

iMac is just fine for casual gaming. For Mac Pro you would need a monitor which will cost you an extra 200$ or more if you want something better and bigger. You can always sell the iMac and get a new one when it's too obsolete for gaming

3. dissolve macrumors 6502a

If you really have no need or desire for internal expansion, go iMac. I went through a similar decision as you, but decided on the Pro for access to cheaper internal SSDs and mechanical drives than Apple was offering (plus option to upgrade graphics card in the future). From what I've seen the quad Pro performs very similarly to the i7 iMac, if not slightly worse on non-multicore aware apps.

4. toxic macrumors 68000

for gaming, I would go with an iMac. in 2-3 years you can just buy another one, that iMac will be faster than the Mac Pro you'd buy now, and you'd spend the same amount of money or less.

5. ephermal thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks all! I think I am going to go with the Imac...I will post a reply and let you guys know how it works out!!!