iMac or Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheNakedMan, Dec 24, 2010.

1. TheNakedMan macrumors member

I have a 13 inch macbook pro.
    I like it alright. I'd think I prefer a desktop more.
    While I'm in college...I do a lot of facebook ;)
    Other times I do a lot of word processing and basic coding.
    Starcraft 2 runs pretty well on my little macbook...so far I'm impressed.

I am starting to get into photo editing, and video editing for a large website I help.

I already have one 23" dell IPS monitor I use to hook up with the macbook pro. I would either use that with the 27inch imac, or get dual set with the mac pro.

I was thinking the i7 imac would be simple and solve all my problems. It should last me for another 8 months.

Any buying advice from the user base here would be helpful :)

2. bt22 macrumors 6502

Since you already have the monitor you would probably spend about the same on either computer. Do you need the upgradability of the Mac Pro..? Do you have room for the Tower of the Mac Pro..? Or would your prefer the compactness of the iMac. Either computer would serve you well. I would recommend the Refurb Store for either. You get the same warranty while saving hundreds of dollars v/s New. I also want a Desktop Apple and I would love a Mac Pro. The Mac Pro is more of a Server grade or Enterprise grade computer, but is a very nice computer...

my 2 cents

3. josh8711 macrumors member

the iMac is killer performance and u can use your other screen for 2nd too. The Mac Pros are massive but also a massive price tag. I own a mac pro 2008 and it is still top of the range in performance to date and I can upgrade things in it. The only cons of a mac pro is power consumption and use of space. If you get an iMac you will have lower power costs, compactness.

4. TheNakedMan thread starter macrumors member

I would think the iMac would be a more sensible purchase.
    I think the Mac Pro has some serious meat to it.

If I get an i7 iMac, with at least 8gb of ram.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Definitely pass on the pro. That kind of power is just unnecessary for mostly Facebook and email, etc. I'd say an i5 or i7 quad iMac is the way to go if you're going to be video or photo editing, then upgrade the memory to 8gb aftermarket. You could even just use your MBP for that and it would work fine. Desk space is at a premium in college, so sticking with the laptop and monitor might not be a bad idea either.

6. TheNakedMan, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010

TheNakedMan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the recommendations. Let me clarify a bit. I'm 26 years old...so I don't stay in the dorms. I have a two bedroom apt, which just holds me in it.

Working on this website, and such is becoming my business.

7. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

iMac all the way, If we're talking about photo editing and web design, not video rendering and CAD design. Save the cash and go with the imac with the dual screen setup and max the ram