imac or mac pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by frocco, Apr 20, 2009.

1. frocco macrumors 6502

Hello,

I like the top of line iMac, but am concerned that in two years I would want a better video card. I do some gaming.

I was considering the 2499.00 MP and a decent third party monitor.

But the imac monitor looks great.

Thanks

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I do some gaming with my iMac, but it's FAR from one of my priorities. I don't have any problems and for me, the performance is great.

Plus, the 95+ percent of the time I'm not gaming, I have a big, beautiful screen to use. You won't be disappointed.

If gaming is really high on your priority list, you might actually explore a gaming PC and spend a little less than a Mac Pro.

3. frocco thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point, I could get the imac and a gaming pc for the cost of the mac pro, unless I opted for a cheap monitor.

4. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Or you can have two video cards in your Mac Pro. One for the mac side and one for the PC side.

5. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I opted for the Mac Pro. I don't do much gaming (maybe Sims 3) but do want to do some reasonably high end video editing, plus I want to be able to add hard disk storage. :)

Choice is yours.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's always possible to just add external HDDs with FW; if you want a ton of storage you could always get a Drobo.

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Really depends on what non-gaming stuff you want to do (but you have not supplied this info)

8. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I got the Mac Pro and the 8800GT (2008 model) and it games very well (COD4, CODWaW, Assasins Creed, Lego Games etc)

However, I will say that I am building a gaming PC as I prefer not to game on my main machine (rebooting all the time is a pain in the rear, and I like having the choice of graphics cards).

Just my thoughts, but an Imac and a cheap PC would be the way I would go.

9. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

10. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I must be a purist. But it's just somehow not the same as a real :apple: computer. And there is the bit about it being illegal. :eek:

11. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Not illegal. Until there is a court ruling declaring that an EULA is a legally binding contract there's nothing illegal with Hackintosh provided you purchase Leopard.

12. frocco thread starter macrumors 6502

I am considering the entry level MP and a cheap monitor (around 300.00) HP, Samsung or Dell

Wondering if this setup would be ok until I can add a better video card and monitor over the imac 3.06

Thanks