iMac or Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kalexn, Sep 26, 2012.

1. kalexn macrumors 6502

Hi everyone, so I have a MacBook that I am about ready to retire. I have always been a laptop person but I think I am wanting to make the switch to the iMac. Now that I have an iPad it doesn't seem like I need a laptop as much as I always felt I did in the past.

Anyone else go to an iMac from a Laptop?

Also, any idea when a new one is going to be released? I have been going through the forums and online and it doesn't seem like there is any clear idea. I have never really paid too much attention to desktops before though, so I am not sure of release dates/patterns etc.

Thanks so much!

2. PKWY macrumors newbie

3. Starshadow macrumors member

Starshadow

Like anything when you choose a computer,

Its all about what your needs are, if you need portability you cant get better than the Macbook Air.

Desktops are great for large storage and if you need a high powered machine at lower cost than a laptop.

However it seems...seems like the new iMacs may arrive in October or possibly longer so lets just consider the current iMacs

Currently the 15" Macbook pros are in my opinion better value for money, as they are of comparable processing strength, can have decent storage facilities, better graphics chips and of course they are portable.

But like I said, its all about your needs,

If you travel a lot: Get the Air
    If you travel a little: Get the Macbook Pro 15"
    If you Don't Travel: Get the iMac ( For the lower price) or get the Macbook Pro 15"

Hope that helps.

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I currently have a 2011 iMac and 2011 MacBook Air 11".

Depending on how powerful the Haswell MacBook Air 13" is, I may replace both with just that unit (I have an Apple Thunderbolt Display I can use with the MBA).

5. mojothemonkey macrumors regular

Actually, if you travel some, you can still keep on using your macbook. Even if you want to "retire" it as your main computer, regardless of the specs, it's still more than adequate to do web browsing, word processing, watch movies, etc.

Everyone always paints this false "either or" choice, as if Apple comes and confiscates your old laptop when you buy an iMac.

6. kalexn thread starter macrumors 6502

haha that is a good point. I don't travel for work or anything and so the only traveling I do is personal, so no need for a laptop for that. I do think I am leaning towards the iMac because I feel like they last longer than the laptops.

I do have a large Apple Display Monitor so I can turn my laptop into a desktop but I just wanted to see what others thought as I tend to be leaning towards the iMac but not really sure why :)

7. fa8362 macrumors 65816

If you don't need portability, I can't fathom why you'd buy a laptop.

8. peglegjack macrumors 6502

peglegjack

Save some $ and wait for the new Mac Mini.

If that ever comes out that is.