iMAC or MacBook Buying Dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ulfya, Aug 5, 2010.

1. ulfya macrumors newbie

Hi, I need a little help making up my mind in buying a new Mac in terms of SPEED and GRAPHIC quality (PORTABILITY IT'S NOT AN ISSUE). My dilemma is between the MacBook Pro entry level with a 500 GB hard drive and the iMac 3.2. Yes I have read and read about both I just need a non-bias opinion. Aside from surfing the net I’m trying to organize, catalog and do minor adjustments to about 4000 photos divided in 50/50 jpeg and raw using Photo Mechanic (organizing and cataloging) and Adobe Elements 8 for the adjustments

Thanks for all the help.
    Ulf

2. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

Most responses are going to deal with if you need the portability or not. For what you need it for both the MBP and Imac will be suitable enough. I have an 06' MBP and I am thinking about upgrading to the new Imac. I wont have that portability anymore but the specs will be bumped up, i'll get a nice screen increase, and if i do need to access the internet away from my desk i have my iphone 4. Good luck

3. ulfya thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input I'm with you portability is not an issue since is for in house use.

4. MCRunning macrumors 6502

Get the iMac then

5. csmoot macrumors newbie

Go with the iMac!!! Additional screen size will be beneficial...

6. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

If you don't need portability the iMac is the logical choice.

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The iMac is the logical choice, it is more powerful, has better graphics, a bigger screen and higher memory capacity. If I didn't need portability, I would definitely go for an iMac

8. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Like others have said, imac is a better choice for you.

9. Amasashi macrumors member

If portability is not an issue, then I STRONGLY suggest that you get the iMac, unless you have some pressing reason for a laptop, such as a small apartment with limited desktop real estate or if you just think laptops are trendier.

But really, iMac is the way to go. The huge screen will absolute blow you away. Not to mention it's super fast. And oh yeah, Apple Care is much cheaper too!