iMac or MacBook Pro 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macbanda, Jul 9, 2011.

1. macbanda macrumors member

I need a home computer - I currently have a 13" MacBook (black model). The computer would be used by my kids mainly to access the internet and some word processing.

I mainly use my computer for the same activities but plan on getting into some music recording - Pro Tools and Garage Band.

Would it make more sense to get a 21" iMac or a 15" replacement for my 13" inch and let my kids use the 13" inc with a bigger display? Is the MacBook pro more powerful than the iMac?

Lastly, I qualify for the education discount, where is the best place to buy the computer and save the most?

Thanks in advance,

2. Jedi macrumors regular

Jedi

Hi ,

Either one would be fine , however since you mentioned music production , I would go with the iMac.

Larger screen = easier to see and work with , if your going to be using Pro-Tools , you will appreciate the extra work space and clarity of the iMac.

If you just plan on GB , then a MacBook Pro 15" would be fine.

On a side note , I have been looking at MBP`s and I was thinking about the 17" , but after seeing the 15" and 17" side by side , the 15" looked clearer to me.

I even went so far has to change both to 1024 X 768 stretch and still the 15" was clearer , so native resolution is a reality !!

15" standard res would be my choice over the 17" __ IMO :)

Later ,

Gary 

3. iMikeT macrumors 68020

4. macbanda thread starter macrumors member

Thank you Gary, I like the logic of the iMac over the MBP. Now, I love the size of the 27" but I'm wondering if it's overkill. My workspace area is relatively small. Any thoughts?

5. trip1ex macrumors 68000

$1200 imac is a bit more powerful than $2200 MBP and has bigger screen.

MBP is portable. And the $2200 MBP model has more storage space actually. And you can upgrade the hard drive easier.

27" vs 21.5" imac depends on your preferences and wallet.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The MBP is actually more powerful than the i5 iMacs, due to hyperthreading/turbo boost. The i7 iMacs win there though. That said, I'd still get the iMac, as it is plenty powerful and considerably cheaper.

7. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

I second the iMac for you and your families needs. More bang for the buck and a bigger screen for multi-media. Also, as the keyboard is separate from the computer so spilled drinks won't ruin the machine!

8. macbanda thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the feedback :)

9. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Macworld benchmarks give nod to i5 imac over MBP.

And notice I said "a bit more powerful." :D

10. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

Love my imac, saving for a laptop. For your needs I would go imac.