iMac or MacBook Pro (non-retina)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by arc07693, Feb 7, 2014.

1. arc07693 macrumors newbie

Hello! I'm getting my first modern Mac (had an iMac G4 that died) next month and want a bit of advice on which model I should get.

Currently, I have it narrowed down to the base model iMac and the base model (non-retina) MacBook Pro.

While I like the iMac's screen and higher specs, I would like to be able to use my computer away from my desk, perhaps while laying in bed or sitting on the couch. I also like the fact that the MBP still has an optical drive and as of right now, the USB SuperDrive is not an option.

I plan on using the machine as an everyday everything machine, ranging from light browsing to music mixing to moderate gaming, particularly Source games.

As for the outdated processor in the MBP, that's not too important to me.

I'm leaning more towards the MBP for the sake of portability (and upgradeability) and the optical drive, but I'd still like to hear what you guys think.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

If you want portability - optical drive the 13" cMBP is the choice - Can always add a SSD or extra RAM later - I would recommend a Refurb from Apple - I believe they are $999. Forgive my laziness for not looking the exact price up. :)

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

my wife uses an iMac and I use a MBP. The majority of the time I use my MBP at my desk connected to an external display. I still prefer the portability. My wife is happy with her iMac and doesn't need the portability. For mobile computing she uses her iPad.

If you can only afford a single device, the MBP makes the most sense if you need portable. Otherwise it's worth considering the iMac/iPad combo if that can work as it gets you the best of both worlds. What are you using the computer for when in bed or the couch? If it's web browsing or reading, the iPad is a much better device. I don't like using a computer in bed because of the potential for damage. Just look at the threads here where people have dropped them off the bed or sat on them.