iMac or Macbook Pro with External Display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iSlave, May 20, 2009.

1. iSlave macrumors 6502

I currently have a 2.2 Macbook Pro, but I've got the chance to get an 2.4 iMac for a very good price. Would it be worth getting, or am I better off just getting an external display for any desktop use?

Does anyone have a MBP+display setup? How does it compare to just an iMac?

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I would get the 24" ACD, that way you get a better display and you still have the portability of your MacBook Pro.

3. entergreenland macrumors newbie

What do you use your computer for and do you need the portability? The extra power of the iMac will always come in useful but if you need portability and are willing to sacrifice the extra power then get an external display, I would suggest the ACD which looks amazing.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The 2.2 is a last gen MBP. Will the 24" ACD's now work on older models now? Did I miss something?

I'd get on CL and find a good deal on an external monitor with a DVI connection, which your 2.2 should have on the side. The new led acd is a great product with some great features, but I doubt it will work on your mbp, and you can save a ton with a cheaper or used monitor that should work just as well for most purposes.

5. lucamacis macrumors member

24" ACD won't work with the MBP. I would get a 24" external display and with the shed loads of money you save you can get an external drive, mouse and keyboard.

6. entergreenland macrumors newbie

Sorry I forgot the ACDs didn't work with the last-gen MBPs. You might be able to get adaptors though, correct me if I'm wrong.

7. iSlave thread starter macrumors 6502

Apologies if this is dumb question, but why wouldn't they work with the previous gen MBP??

I use the MBP for general surfing, email etc...but I also use it for After Effects, Photoshop, and FCP. I suppose I dont need portability per se, but it's nice to move around the house when I feel like it. I guess the external display option would be best.

8. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

There is currently no adapter to go from the old MBP's DVI port to a female mini-display port so the new ACD can plug it's male end into.

I have a MBP and external display, and love it. How much is a "good deal" on the iMac though?

9. Demo318 macrumors newbie

Demo318

If I were you

If I were you, I would buy the iMac. You never know when having two computers is going to come in handy. Perhaps some evening, you might want to watch a movie on your iMac while you do some work on your MBP. Buying the iMac gives you the most liberty in what you can do in the future.

10. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...sell the MBP to finance the iMac and get a new laptop in a year:D

11. iSlave thread starter macrumors 6502

Decided to order the iMac in the end, knowing that I could return it within 14 days if I changed my mind. Refurb 20'' 2.4 for £674, and it even came with a surprise copy of iLife 09 included on a separate disc.

Overall, I'm hugely impressed with it, so it looks like I might be keeping it and selling on the MBP....

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Because Apple wants you to buy a new laptop. They're downright evil geniuses when it comes to forced upgrades.

13. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Nice, I almost went with the 20" iMac, but ended up getting a mini. Congratulations on your new purchase :)

14. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I have the same iMac on this side of the pond with a RAM upgrade and I'm happy with it:D

15. macgrl macrumors 65816

16. iSlave thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks to everyone for the support. It's an awesome computer, it'll be even more so when I get a RAM upgrade :):apple:

17. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

what will you use when you want to work away from your desk, on the couch, outside etc.... or take your computer with you when you travel ??

18. iSlave thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I don't travel for any work reasons, and away from the desk I have access to a netbook and an older Dell laptop for any desperate urges to surf the net. And of course, the iPhone...