Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davila182

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
which one should I go with macbook pro or imac> Going to be using garage band and maybe some other recording software.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As Miles posted, ultimately it boils down to your mobility needs.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
If you don't need portability, get an i7 27" iMac. Else a MBP.

If you got an UAD card, then you need a Mac Pro :p

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Do you want/need to move your computer around, or will you be fine with a stationary computer?

As others have said, that's pretty much what it boils down to.

twalker294

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
I went through the same thought process in 2006 and ended up with an iMac. I just went through it again and got a 13" MBP and I definitely made the right decision the second time.

I can easily connect it to my 22" monitor, Bluetooth Apple keyboard, and Magic Trackpad when I want to use it on the desktop and I can take it with me when I need or want to be portable. It's the best of both worlds and I'll never go back to a desktop Mac.

Unless you need the power of the i5 or i7, I say go for the laptop.

shelhed217

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2010
VA
I had 2 iMacs over the last 4 years and loved them, but this time around i went with a MBP, its so easy to hook it up at my desk to a large monitor, and then pick it up and go when i want to. I don't even miss the iMac :)

Mac Composer

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
I don't understand someone who asks anonymous strangers on a forum what they should buy. You should buy a computer based on what your needs are. Your budget, workspace, what you want to do with it. Only you know that.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I don't understand someone who asks anonymous strangers on a forum what they should buy.

Oh, it's all part of the fun of the forum environment. Embrace it.

And to the OP: If you ever want to work anywhere but wherever it is you plan to park the iMac, get the MacBook. I bought a MacBook Pro 13" back in April. I could have gotten more bang for my buck with an iMac for the same price, but I refuse to ever be tied to a desk again for my computer needs. The laptop is the only way to go for me. That may or may not be you. If you don't mind being tied to the desk for when you're doing computer work/play/whatever, get the bigger bang per buck with the iMac.

davila182

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
Still undecided.....

I went through the same thought process in 2006 and ended up with an iMac. I just went through it again and got a 13" MBP and I definitely made the right decision the second time.

I can easily connect it to my 22" monitor, Bluetooth Apple keyboard, and Magic Trackpad when I want to use it on the desktop and I can take it with me when I need or want to be portable. It's the best of both worlds and I'll never go back to a desktop Mac.

Unless you need the power of the i5 or i7, I say go for the laptop.

I was at the Apple Store today and I really want a laptop because i have never had one, but when I stood in front of the Imac it really caught my attention

erphan

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
Same Question

I have the same question, on that note.

I want to use my computer for Photoshop and Final Cut or Premiere as well as all the other basic stuff. I'm having a ton of trouble deciding between a 15inch i7 w/ Matte vs. an i7 iMac.

I want to get the MBP because I can carry it around and I have a decent PC that does well.... for a PC. My question is, as far as rendering goes, is there a noticable difference between the i7 on the iMac and the i7 on the MBP?

Eventually, in the summer I think I'll either get an iPad (or upgrade my RAM and get a decent sized SSD if I have a MBP).

If I get a MBP I can simply just connect it to my 22in monitor and use it. I probably will use it on the desk most of the time.

I'm really having trouble deciding between the 27" iMac and the 15" MBP.

Your thoughts?

Oh, and I'll probably wait for the next release in (I pray) April, but I'm just seeing the ballpark with the current specs since I'm not sure what's going to improve on the next release of MBPs.

DudeMartin

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's a crucial detail when deciding, why don't people post information like that?

Purestang

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2010
Ultimately it boils down to if you need the portability.

I was actually in the same predicament for the past 2 weeks. I was in the hunt for a new computer and i couldnt decide between the iMac 27 and the MacBook Pro 17.

i had to go to my local mac retailer (BestBuy) and test drive them. I still couldnt decide because they were both beautiful machines and performed to my expectations.

since im still in College/University, i decided that the MacBook Pro (plus monitor) was the "smarter" choice in my circumstances, since i can then take it to the library and such. If i wasnt still in school, the iMac would have ultimately been my choice of weapon.

If you want the best of both worlds, get the Macbook Pro and then buy an external monitor. I have a dell m1330 (13") hooked up to a 22" monitor currently. But since my dell is kicking the bucket, i sold the monitor and bought the macbook pro

freddy-b

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2009
Lisbon Portugal
I have the same question, on that note.

I want to use my computer for Photoshop and Final Cut or Premiere as well as all the other basic stuff. I'm having a ton of trouble deciding between a 15inch i7 w/ Matte vs. an i7 iMac.

I want to get the MBP because I can carry it around and I have a decent PC that does well.... for a PC. My question is, as far as rendering goes, is there a noticable difference between the i7 on the iMac and the i7 on the MBP?

Eventually, in the summer I think I'll either get an iPad (or upgrade my RAM and get a decent sized SSD if I have a MBP).

If I get a MBP I can simply just connect it to my 22in monitor and use it. I probably will use it on the desk most of the time.

I'm really having trouble deciding between the 27" iMac and the 15" MBP.

Your thoughts?

Oh, and I'll probably wait for the next release in (I pray) April, but I'm just seeing the ballpark with the current specs since I'm not sure what's going to improve on the next release of MBPs.

wait, now we're talking about pcs? :p

go for the 15 mac. if u need it now, get i now. if u dont.. dont. and if you wat it BADLY get it now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.