iMac or MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'iMac' started by katallozi, Jan 11, 2011.

1. katallozi macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Im in the market for a new computer to replace my laptop.
    Ive been using pc for my whole life and am considering buying a Mac because people say its soo much better.

I just cant decide between the top of the range iMac (£1,684.00) or the same priced macbook pro? or should i wait for the product lines to be updated as i have read the sandy bridge processors will soon be on Macs. Other than that im also considering the HP Envy Beats which is just as cool as a Mac i think.

Sorry for the long post but whats your advice?

2. simsaladimbamba

What do you want to use the computer for? Is portability important or just something you would like, but can be ignored?
    And what is your budget?

3. katallozi thread starter macrumors newbie

my budget is is max £1500
    gona start uni in September so mostly uni work, gaming, occasional video editing but id like to be able to take it with me on holidays etc but if i get a laptop i doubt ill be taking it to uni

4. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

I guess if you are accustomed to notebooks you can go with the Macbook Pro.

I do have a question though, why do many people say "to uni"?
    Isn't "to a uni" grammatically correct, since uni stands for university and there are many universities?

Catch me up to speed on this please. Thanks

But yeah, If you do decide to get the Macbook Pro you may want to wait, the new ones are on the way. Which one are you planning on getting and what do you plan to do with it?

5. katallozi thread starter macrumors newbie

yeh i guess ur right "to a uni" but then again it depends on wether u see uni as in the specific one ur going to are in general.

mostly doing uni work, gaming, occasional video editing but if i do get one i will have to run windows 7 on it

6. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Do you say, "i'm going to bed" or "i'm going to a bed"?

Both work for me depending on how specific you want to be.

Back on topic. get a Macbook unless its a family computer. You can always hook it up to you tv if you wanna watch films etc.

7. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

It is what we in the UK say when we mean we're going on to higher education. Exactly the same as you in the US (I believe), except you would say "I am going to college". You don't say, "I'm going to a college", do you? I don't know whether it is grammatically correct or not. If it isn't, it is idiomatic and therefore perfectly correct anyway.

TO THE OP: If you aren't concerned about portability, you will get a much more powerful machine for your money with the iMac. Also, the 27" screen is awesome and it will be (slightly) harder to nick than a laptop!

8. katallozi thread starter macrumors newbie

does it have hdmi output?

9. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Yes - via an adapter. You may need an additional cable for audio.

10. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Yes, what ZilogZ80 said. :D