iMac or MacBook pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Freeman3030, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Freeman3030 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to the world or apple, only own an iPad (which I think is amazing)
    I've been researching for white sometime and was convinced that an iMac would be perfect. But now I'm wondering if a MacBook pro might be that little bit more versatile.
    I want to be able to store all my films, music and pictures (also do some photo editing) on it, play a bit of sims 3 and stream video using Apple TV, so an iMac would be great for that, but you can take a MacBook pro anywhere! But then I have an iPad for that.
    I thought about getting a mbp with a henge dock with larger external display for photo editing. But my main concern is the battery, does it have a vampire draw so the battery doesn't overcharge? Aterall, it's likely to be left in the dock 70% of the time.
    I really don't know what to do, I'm in no hurry, so can wait until the new iMac to come out. But I just need help making my mind up!
    Help!

2. jsoto macrumors regular

jsoto

The answer to your question is if you need mobility? The iMac you get more bang for your buck but it is not mobile. I too debated this question for some time. Since I always had a desktop grant my desktop was almost 10 years old & still kicking (windows pc). Now the notebook segment has some pretty powerful processors which are almost a desktop replacement. In the end I went with the MBP 15" 2010 model. Very happy with my decision. I use it more desktop than mobile. So I have a 28" HD display & all the works connected to it. When I travel I like the mobility aspect.

The question is the mobility. Do you need it or not?

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How much data do you have? Apple offers up to 750GB drive in MBP but from aftermarket, you can get up to 1.75TB (1TB+750GB) in the MBP. In the end, this boils down to do you need the portability or not. You already have an iPad so do you think you would be carrying the MBP with you?

For your usage, MBP is fine, as long as you go with a 15" or 17".

4. Freeman3030 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is just the dilemma, I don't know! I would move it around the house from room to room. And am then not tied to a desk.
    I'd planned just to get the basic iMac with an external hd to store all my movies, so could do that with a mbp.
    Just concerned about having a MacBook pro left on charge 70% of the time. I have a feeling the battery life would deplete rapidly:s