imac or macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dezine, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Dezine macrumors newbie

I'm going to be making the much anticipated migration from a windows pc to a mac but I'm stuck in a rut. Right now I'm looking to spend around $2,000; if I spend less of course it's a good thing. I don't travel a lot but I am wondering if a low end macbook pro would be my best bet, I love my desktop computer though because of the larger screen. I'm thinking of getting a 20inch iMac or a 17inch macbook pro.. I'm sure in the end I will just chose one out of impulse but is there anyone that has both?

I'm willing to hear opinions on all macs though, macbook, macbook pro, imac, etc. Feel free to let me in on your buying experience. I'm a gamer but I have a pc for that, I'll mainly be using is for surfing, photoshop and dreamweaver (I'm a web master).

Anyways feel free to give me your two cents I'm not sure what to get!

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Wait for Leopard and Santa Rosa platform before buying. Do you need portability or not? I would say get a MacBook, the MacBook will be fine to handle those tasks you mentioned. You could always get more ram for better performance and an external display for more screen estate.
    But if you don't want to get the MacBook, then get the low-end 15" MacBook Pro with more ram.

3. Dezine thread starter macrumors newbie

Not really

I don't have to have portability, I'd rather have a larger screen and more ram. Hopefully they come out soon, I have a large project that I am getting the computer for rather soon.

4. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Well if you don't need the portability go for the iMac, it is a great machine. If you can though try to wait for the new models as they don't seem to be far off. But if you need it now you won't be sorry either, you'll get your money worth either way. :)

5. Dezine thread starter macrumors newbie

Leopard

I've looked around and can't seem to find any info on the release of leopard other than "spring", I wonder if that will be coming out sooner than later. Would be nice to have that installed already.

6. ready2switch macrumors 6502

ready2switch

"Spring" is about all you're going to find. Most people around here seem to believe that WWDC is the best bet (June 11th-ish) though many others are hoping for before. So you're looking at about a 2-month wait if everything goes according to plan. :D

7. Dezine thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait..

Oh.. two months is too long. I'll be starting my new project within a month. Too bad I guess, I'll probably be getting an imac and just buy the upgrade later. Being a msoft user for so long the switch is long over due.

8. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

You really would be better off waiting if you're going for an iMac. It's expected to see a substantial redesign at WWDC as well. You would get Leopard, new design, Santa Rosa with Robeson technology, possibly iLife 07, and better specs all around. If there is any way that you can work around not getting a new computer for the next two months, you should definitely do it. I suggest you stay with the PC for two more months; it'll be worth it.

9. Dezine thread starter macrumors newbie

Well

I guess I could, I may end up with a macbook pro when this is all done though. Only problem is that I want a more efficient computer for when I start the project, if I wait for the new imac I might end up just getting a mac pro. Sooo many choices. Problem with me is I get all hyped up if I wait too long I lose interest, I've wanted a mac for awhile but I'm rather proficient with Windows and I could end up just upgrading my pc.

I guess I'm just manic. :)

10. Cepe Indicum macrumors regular

I know where you're coming from on this :eek:

I was in a similar position to you about six months ago. My decision was between the iMac and MacBook Pro as my first ever Mac. In the end, I went for the MBP; it has to be said, mainly off what I read on these forums. Whilst I wouldn't want to give you any specific advice - given that I'm a new switcher too, and not had much experience of iMacs - I guarantee you wouldn't be disappointed with an MBP, and whichever you go for, you won't be disappointed with a Mac!

I know people are saying wait a couple of months (and it isn't bad advice), but there will always be a new model just around the corner! I know Leopard might be worth waiting for, but I'm thinking 10.5.1 might be a better bet than 10.5.0, to iron out any bugs, which means you'll have to wait longer still...

Go for it mate; make the decision of desktop vs. laptop based on your own needs, and take the plunge. You won't look back... I know I haven't! :)

Good luck and all the best.

11. Dezine thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Ah now that's the advice I was looking for, lol. I have a couple weeks before I make any kind of purchase so I have plenty of time to make a solid decision rather than an impulse. I'm leaning towards a MBP but the imac has me drooling. I'm going to make a trip to a mac store and I'm sure that will help me make a decision.

12. Rumbach macrumors newbie

If you don't need portability, why are you leaning towards a MBP? It is much more expensive due to it's portability - you'd be better of getting an Imac and juicing up the RAM. Of course, MBPs are sexxy and sleek, and are fun to take with you, so maybe you are changing your mind about the portability thing? lol.

13. ghernagon macrumors newbie

ghernagon

Buying experience

Hi bro, well I can tell you that I'm mixed media designer specialized in web design, multimedia, photography, digital print, and digital illustrations.. I already have 5 macs in my home, a PowerMac G5 2x2.0, iMac G5 20¨, mac mini G4, iMac G3, and a MacBook Pro 17¨, and every machine is totally diferent.... If you want to play, let your PC in your home too, but if you're planning to buy a Mac to work with Dreamweaver and want to surf, The MacBook Pro represent a more spend.... I recommend you a iMac because is accesible for you and is a excellent machine... its beautiful and powerfull...

Sincerely buy a iMac... :)

Take care bro...

14. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

First off .... congrats on the decision to make the switch. I'd suggest getting the MacBook Pro as you buy yourself the flexibility to take your Mac with you.

Good luck with your decision.

15. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

I would also pick the MBP over the iMac. I still think Robeson technology, the $129 you'll save on Leopard, the $99 you might save on iLife07, the better specs, and the redesign certainly merit a two month wait. Two months really isn't that long compared to how long you'll have the computer. People always say that something new is just around the corner when in reality, that's just not true. Two months is certainly around the corner. After that there won't be a new iMac design for maybe another 3 years and not another OS for at least 2.

If you really want to buy now then go for it, but you've stated that you don't need it yet so I'd certainly try and tough it out. It's really not that far away.

16. typewriterchimp macrumors member

buy imac

lots of advice here, but here's my .02 based on my experiences working on both the macbook and the regular ol g5 imac.

yes, the macbook pro is sleek and compact. pound for pound, though, it can't match up to the imac. all of the fancy technology (flash memory drives, faster fsb, slightly faster processors, more ram) really won't change how you work or what you work on. Furthermore, if you don't need the mobility, don't buy the mbp. Sure, you can always increase screen real estate by hooking up an external screen. Sure, you can overcome the fact that laptops are ergonomic nightmares and not comfortable to work on for long periods of time by connecting keyboards and mice and other accessories (I do this myself). But it produces a sprawling mass of wires (speaking realistically) that doesn't look pretty on your desk. Especially not compared to...

The 24" imac, which would be my choice in this situation. The big screen and case design make for a very nice work area. In terms of hardware, it surpasses the macbookpro (bigger faster drives, better graphics for the price, comparable cpu speed and ram). Its compact enough that you can pack it in your car to take from job to job. If the only reason you'd need a laptop is to display or tweak projects, spend 400 bucks in a couple of months to pick up a nice g4 ibook that's plenty compact and great for presentations.

It sounds like you need your computer soon. The old adage applies: if you can afford to wait 2-4 months for technology that might not even change the way you work, then maybe you don't need the hardware in the first place. Is a slimmer imac with a slightly bumped processor and a new os worth waiting 2 months for you?

hope this helps. enjoy your new compy whenever it arrives

-twc

17. Dezine thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankssss

Lots of good advice, thank you for your input. I found out today that it might be another month before my spoken of project starts and if that's the case I will surely wait to see if things do change. I'm liking the 24inch imac right now but if my financial situation looks better in the month of so I just may be getting a mac pro. I've thought of a MBP simply because taking it with me where ever I go would be great, I don't travel enough to make this my main machine though.

When the time comes if I can afford a nice screen I could be getting a mac pro, the more power the better if you ask me. I see you can save a couple buck by getting two 2.0 ghz chips instead of the 2.6 ($300) which would allow me to get the 2 gigs or ram instead of the one. Talking about it like this is nice, let's me churn ideas in my head. I just landed a very nice job (the project) which begins in a month or sooner so I want to be as productive as possible.

Either way Mac has got me in it's clutches, ever since I used my friends powerbook and than my other friends MBP I have been amazed by it's simplicity. I easily use photoshop and dreamweaver now but that software seems to fit a mac so much better.

18. Dezine thread starter macrumors newbie

temptation!

Here's a real temptation! I was in the refurbished section and would have been able to get a macbook and an imac for under 3,000! Man.. I was looking at 2700 for a mac pro.

That's sweet lol.

19. brianus macrumors 6502

How does the MBP not "stack up" to the iMac, technologically? And there's really only one extra cable involved if you go the MBP-with-external display route; no worse than, say, the Mac Pro in that regard*. But like the Mac Pro, your choice of display is unlimited if you go with the MBP. And you then have mobility as an option, at the very least.

The only reason I could see going for the iMac is that it's obviously much cheaper getting that 24" display built in rather than having to buy it separately. But if you go for the iMac, you could never get a 30".... again, the MBP gives you more options.

* - besides, you can always get a bluetooth mouse & keyboard if you're truly cable-averse

20. Lucky8 macrumors regular

Lucky8

iMac 24 is a sweet machine.
    I wished I would have bought that instead of my MacBook since I'm not such a big traveler myself

21. Eastend macrumors 6502

Not exactly more options. With the iMac you can hook up another 24" screen and spread out the work, you can't do that on a MBP. I say that because lately I have been working in SoundTrack Pro a lot and the extra screen really saves me a lot of time, I can almost see out to the end of the soundtrack with 2 screens.

22. Lord Flashheart macrumors regular

Lord Flashheart

Wait a bit if you can. Then get the 24" imac since you do not travel much and value a bigger screen.

23. Dezine thread starter macrumors newbie

great

The imac looks great, I think I might go for a MB/MBP first so I can have a mac to work on sooner, and take everywhere I go, just a refurb around a thousand. Wait to see if there is a new imac in june and get that, by then I can get the big one or perhaps a mac pro.