iMac or macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by grooveattack, Jan 12, 2008.

1. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

well simple question.... do i get an iMac or MBP? Imac is obviously cheeper, but i think that the MBP is a much better machine ( plus maybe updates at macworld?!? ) i will be using it for light gaming, video editing using final cut express and photoshop CS3 + all the normal things e.g. music, photos and net etc. so what is your personal opinion ???
    cheers

2. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Depends on whether or not you're looking for portability. I would personally go for a MacBook Pro, but that's because I need the portability. If you value screen real estate more than portability, you should probably get an iMac.

You may want to consider waiting until Macworld to make a decision, especially since Apple recently made that iMac-like dock patent.

3. grooveattack thread starter macrumors 6502a

thats what i am waiting for, i am hoping so much they will at least do something to the imac ( even tho its VERY unlikely ) and am also waiting for my student loan! lol

4. zdobson macrumors 6502

What are your priorities?
    Portability?
    Power? Both have very similar parts. iMac is all notebook components
    Cost? iMac is cheaper

If you feel like spending the extra money, I'd get the MBP. Just as much power and portability is great.

5. thinkband macrumors regular

For a student, laptops are the best. You honestly do not want to do all your work in a dorm room. Get a Macbook pro, that is what I am getting. You can even get an external monitor.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the imac has a 3.5" desktop hard drive so if the OP is looking for big hard drive space at a lower costs this is an advantage.

7. photoguy95 macrumors newbie

Same Question, Different Perspective

I do high end photography - though I make my living doing other things. MacBook Pro 17" high resolution screen, or iMac 24"? Wish funds not an issue, but they R. $1k more for the portibility (which I would like), though I do like having a larger screen as often multi-tasking.

Particularly interested in your experiences with one or the other, or creative ideas.:confused:

8. grooveattack thread starter macrumors 6502a

i would like the portability of a mbp. but then i would like a nice big 24" screen. i am taking a media course so lots of video editing and photo editing using CS3. one thing thats really got me thing is the much discussed graphics card issue. as far as i understand the MBP's graphic card is much better but will i notice it? also does anyone think that the MBP will get a processor update to day?
    cheeers

9. Matiek macrumors member

The iMac gfx card is actually slightly better. I love my MBP to death but the bench marks I've seen show the iMacs have better gfx cards. Both Machines will edit video well. One thing you should take into consideration is that if you're editing video and such in school you'll want an external hard drive to render to.

you don't want to do editing work all on one drive because it renders slower and is hard on the drive.

Both machines are perfect for what you're describing. The 24'' inch iMac is much nicer for watching movies and editing but it's also really nice to take your MBP home with you when your on break from school. In the end it's up to your preference.

I went with the MBP but it leaves something to be desired when I'm sitting around with friends watching movies. I might just need to buy a tv.

10. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

I would go for the iMac. You get way more computer and power for the buck.

Then, you can take the money you saved and get an iPhone and use that as your "portable computer"

That is my setup.

Before the iPhone, I used to come home from work and spend at least an hour reading the news and catching up on blogs and email.

Now, I can stay current all day with the iPhone and use the desktop for more powerful things (instead of just surfing the web and checking emails).

This setup works best for my lifestyle.

11. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

From the Apple website, the iMac uses a LOT more power:
    "Maximum continuous power: 200W (20-inch models); 280W (24-inch model)"

I was going to buy a 17" MBP and an external monitor, but for less money I can have a 24" iMac and a small MB. 2 computers, portability and a big monitor... seems like a good option?

12. craig1410 macrumors 6502a

craig1410

I don't know what you've got to do to a 24" iMac to get it to burn 280W because mine runs at 93W when switched on with screen lit up and processor essentially idle (eg Browsing the web). When sleeping it consumes less than 3W.

The highest I've ever managed to get mine up to is with the screen brightness on full blast (way too bright to sit right in front of) and running both CPU cores at full blast. Under these circumstances I think it hit something like 150W.

All measurements made with one of those plug in power testers.

For occasional portability the iMac box is beautifully crafted itself and has a handy carrying handle. Perfectly adequate for taking home in the holidays etc.

I'd go for the iMac.
    Cheers,
    Craig.

13. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

Mmmm, interesting - I wonder why Apple quotes 280? But thanks for the info.

14. macmike47 macrumors regular

I'd go for the iMac. The 24 inch screen is absolutely beautiful. Like, really, truly. If I didn't live half my life in one country, and the other in another, I would've got one.

15. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Do you NEED portability?
    If so, the MBP is the only logical choice.

Do you NEED more hard drive space?
    The MBP maxes out at 250 GB (if you are willing to select a slower HD) but the iMac handles up to 1TB (always at 7200rpm). I, personally, have over 500 GB worth of photos/videos... so the MBP isn't even an option because of this.

Do you want a bigger screen?
    You mentioned that you'll be editing photos and video on your new mac. Doing those kind of activities will be almost unbearable on the MBP... you will be able to do it on the road which is nice, but when you are at your desk you will want an external monitor to make your screen useable. (a screen is going to cost you upwards of $500)

Do you want a slightly faster machine?
    The iMac will beat the MBP in almost every performance benchmark. There are exceptions, but almost all... It isn't a big difference, but something to at least consider.

Now, all of these things mean different things to different people... but I will also add that as a recent graduate of college, the need for a laptop is overrated. I had a laptop my first two years of college, and then traded it off for a new iMac. The laptop rarely left my room anyway, and having the large screen was awesome for watching movies, editing photos/videos, etc. It was much more of a joy to use.

That being said, every campus is different and every student is different. Maybe you work differently than I did. If you can swallow the price difference, and are willing to give up the speed, screen, HD, and performance of the iMac for a more mobile machine... I say go for it! The MBP is an amazing work of art... and I'm sure you would be 100% happy with it.