iMac or Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by soway6, Mar 2, 2010.

1. soway6 macrumors newbie

Right now I have a black plastic macbook 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB ram and the Intel GMA X3100 graphics card. So its not the most powerful computer. I need so advice on what should be my next computer.

Right now I'm trying to decide between getting the 27inch i7 top of the line iMac or waiting for the quadcore Macbook Pros and getting one of those in the 13inch. I do have an external display so screen size is no issue.

The Macbook I have right now does all the basics well but I would really like a more powerful machine. I don't need a Mac Pro though.

Thanks for any help.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Get the Mac Pro, as that seems to fit most of your needs. But you might loose the ability to move the computer around the house if you're more interested in couch surfing.

To be serious, how should we know what your next computer should be?
    We can't deduce your computational needs by just looking at the Mac you currently have.

I went from an iBook to an iMac to a MacBook to a MacBook Pro.
    Not because someone said so, but because of my needs at that time.

3. delux246 macrumors member

what would you use the mac for mostly? do you need to take it with you? if you just need power, get the imac. if you need mobility, get the mbp

4. polotska macrumors 6502

When you say that you need more power, what do you mean? What capabilities of the MacBook are you finding limiting?

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

13" MBPs will not get an i5 or i7 chip.

if they do get an i3 (which I doubt) it will only be marginally faster than the current C2D chip.

So waiting for a new model 13" MBP is fine, but dont expect anything too grand.