iMac or Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by EarthNeutron, Aug 6, 2010.

1. EarthNeutron macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Hi guys, this is my first post, so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post it.
    Anyways, I'm going to buy my 1st Mac (soon). But I don't know which one to buy. The iMac or the Macbook pro 13 inch?
    I know the iMac=power, large screen and no portability
    MacBook Pro=less power, small screen, portability.
    Also, does the Macbook pro overheats? cause I don't want to cook my dinner on my MacBook Pro.

2. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I have a MacBook Pro 17 inch, and it's been fantastic. I think the Apple laptops tend to be a bit better made..

It really depends on how much you value portability, and how intense you'll be using it. Laptops of any make always cook hotter; my fans kick on if I have more than one or two heavy apps open, but I love being able to pack it up and move if I have too. Then again, if you need to run Photoshop + Logic + Mail + Safari + etc etc etc all the time, the iMac would be better. My iMac barely gets warm running several apps, while my laptop gets pretty warm on a regular basis - which Apple says is perfectly normal and won't harm it, but I still don't like doing it if I can avoid it.

They do make special special travel cases for iMacs... of at least they used to.

:)

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Figure this out, OP, and you'll have your answer for which system to buy.

4. EarthNeutron thread starter macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

:D Well, I won't be doing any kind of hardcore multitasking on my mac, so the MacBook Pro would do the job.
    Also, I'm not from the US, which means that a Mac in my country costs like over 2000$. So which mac lasts longer? Cause I will keep my Mac for at least 5 years, if not more.

5. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

My notebook is four years and I've never had one single problem with it. :)

The iMac is three years old, and had the spine die early last winter, which was a major hassle getting replaced but it's been fine since.

*EDIT: Repair on the iMac was completely covered by Apple :)

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have had the machines in my signature for almost 3 years now. I haven't had any problems with my MBP. My iMac on the other hand has had a few repairs that were covered by Apple Care: replaced faulty logic board, replaced Super Drive that wouldn't write to DVDs, and replaced a bad harddrive. Now this is purely anecdotal evidence, so don't base your decision on my experience alone.

7. EarthNeutron thread starter macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Wow thanks :D I think I'm going to buy a MacBook pro then.
    Oh and btw, what about pixel density? I know this sounds a bit werid, but can you actually see the pixels on the MacBook pro? Cause I can see them on my Full HD 1080p Sony Vaio and it's pretty annoying.

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Hm. I'm not that picky... tbh I haven't noticed. I'm sure I squinted, sure. But since I bought mine they've been making a higher resolution one.

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Unless you have eagle eyes, I don't think you'll be able to see the pixels. :)