Imac or Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by reno55, Aug 31, 2007.

1. reno55 macrumors regular

Thinking of switching and I am looking at going either iMac or the 2.16 Macbook. Currently this machine would only be used for internet, burning apps, newsgroups etc sort of like a util machine. I have a windows machine for my games....anyhow I dont want to spend $1500 so I am looking at either the 17" iMac but then I thought about the dual use of having a Macbook that I can take on the go but then when at home hook it up to my current (windows utils machine) monitor so I use it like a desktop.

I have plenty of storage across my 2 windows machines and if bought this mac I would just run the old windows util machine as a file server.....

Does anyone have any thoughts on this for me? I am leaning toward the pricepoint of the Macbook.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if you're leaning towards a macbook, then that's where you should buy. it looks like you'd make good use of its portability, and you'll have an external monitor to attach. go macbook.

3. thegrifman macrumors regular

Definitely macbook for the portability and since you already have an external monitor. I'm of the opinion that desktops are on the way out for home users with how cheap portables and external monitors are becoming.

4. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

I guess u better go for a macbook cause u've already got a desktop and u r not lookin at playin on it .. so gettin a macbook makes sense ..

5. jaycrew macrumors member

I'd go Macbook. I have a Macbook and external monitor I hook it up to at home. Great way to have both portability and then the screen real estate when at home.

6. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I had the same decision and got the iMac (the $1400 version). But do whatever you want, dude. You'll be happy either way.