iMac or MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nakile, Sep 24, 2007.

1. nakile macrumors regular

I'm trying to decide right now, but I can't make up my mind.

At first the Macbook looked like a good idea. But I have a notebook right now as my primary system. It remains on my desk 24/7. I almost never move it and use it like a notebook should be used. So I thought that if this is the case, then I might as well get a iMac unit and get a larger screen, larger hard drive, full keyboard, dedicated video card, ect.

Then I started to think about why I do what I am doing with my notebook. It's because it's heavy, fat, hot, has a useless trackpad, an awful battery life, and super unreliable wireless. The Macbook seems to solve all these problems. I can't help but wonder that with none of these problems present with the Macbook that I would end up using it away from my desk more. It would be nice to go from place to place with a computer... and have it be useful unlike my current system. But I would still most likely never take it out of the house unless I go on one of my rare vacations.

The only real beef I have with the Macbook is the GMA 950. I do 3D computer graphics. Not like Pixar, but I do work with it in my free time. I have used systems with GMA 950s. They work, but it's kind of slow. Still, you can do quite a bit. Screen size is kind of a problem too, but I could adjust.

But then we have the rumors of a new Macbook with aluminum case and the Santa Rosa platform, meaning that without a doubt that the GPU will be the much superior GMA X3100, solving most of my 3D graphics problems.

So yeh, I'm real torn right now on what to get. What do you all think I should get? Macbook or iMac?

2. expergo macrumors regular

Get an iMac. The new ones are awesome and since you rarely bring it out, it's not a huge deal to walk to the other room to use the computer.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I think you are better off with the iMac. You don't need it to be portable and you need the dedicated GPU. The X3100 is only like twice the speed of the GMA950. Even the lowend iMac with the 2400XT is 4 times the speed of the X3100.

4. bluefiberoptics macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

If you think you will need to do 3D stuff at ALL, go with an iMac.

5. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Sounds like you want an iMac. I own one and they are great. I thought I would regret having no portability, but it is nice to have such a big screen.

6. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I got the MacBook simply because if I ever do want to bring it somewhere, I have that option.

Is this option important to you?

7. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Get the iMac...i wish i would have gotten one now that i have wireless dsl instead of dialup...

8. nakile thread starter macrumors regular

Kind of. It would be nice on a vacation. Although I really don't like to mess with technology when on a vacation. Rather just load up on a camera with a 1GB flash card and snap away.

So I guess it's iMac then. :p

9. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

There you go. I am glad you are making the decision that is right for you.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

well, according to your sig, you have a current revision MBP and a current revision MB to help ease that pain... :confused:

anyway, I'd say go imac. I wish I could sell my MB and get one, but I need a laptop for school for a while longer.

11. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

I owned a Powerbook from 2003-2006, then I decided that an iMac was the way to go; your right on vacation you dont need your laptop especially now with iPhone iPod touch ext. I love the added space on the HD and everything else on my iMac.

12. Drile macrumors member

If you don't NEED the portability definitely go with the iMac. You won't regret it for a second.

13. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

I'm in college and have a powerbook because I travel a lot, move a lot, and my laptop leaves my desk at least 5 times a week. If I was more settled however, didn't move around so much, go to class etc, I would much rather prefer a fast and nicer to use iMac. If you really don't think you would use the portability, which it doesn't appear as such, and you don't want to spend the $$ for a desktop replacement like the 17" macbook pro, then get an iMac! They are awesome machines. My roommate does video editing on hers and I love using it sometimes because of it's speed and nice large screen and good bang for the buck.

14. mets1125 macrumors regular

I totally agree plus with the iMac you get more for you $$

15. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I agree.

If you decide you want portability at a later point, you can buy a refurb macbook with minimal specs and use that on trips, etc. Total cost may still be less, or at least not much more.

16. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

Ever think about a MBP. It has a better video card :)

TS

17. gormond macrumors regular

A possible reason why the MBP wasn't considered:

MacBook - from $1099
    iMac - from $1199
    MacBook Pro - from $1999