iMac or Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by circa3182, Oct 16, 2008.

1. circa3182 macrumors newbie

I currently have a 1.33 ghz 12 inch powerbook and am looking to add another computer to my lineup. My school has the following specials
    - White 2.4 ghz Macbook with 2 gb ram - $999.99
    - 2.4 ghz 20" iMac with 1 gb ram - $999.99

I am looking to load Windows on it as well. I am having a hard time deciding which one to purchase. What would you consider to be the better deal for me?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You'll get faster performance with 2GB RAM. The MacBook also has the added advantage of portability. The iMac has more screen area. Only you can decide which is more important to you.

3. smileynev macrumors newbie

4. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

For school, especially if your rooms are wi-fi, you will probably like the laptop option better. Before wi-fi, it was a tossup. I think today a laptop is usually easy to justify, especially since the school is offering you the two at the same price.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What difference does that make? That's a personal question that the OP may not want to answer, and it has nothing to do with the OP's question.

6. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

My school, a trade school, just got wi-fi this year after 35 years in existence. It's an incredible tool and people can call up facts right in class as we study case studies and judicial and appellate rulings.

Before wi-fi, I didn't see much need for laptops in school and in previous years I stopped bringing my iBook to class. I did have a couple of programming classes a few years ago and I brought my Compaq laptop to class but that was the only time a portable helped.

Of course, nearby is an experimental organic gardening program that is a master's degree program and the students live with the plants on a compound without electricity. They sleep in tents and do their reading at night via laterns or candlelight. No laptops there.

7. smileynev macrumors newbie

Settle down there, champ. Unless he's going to the Reformatory School for Wayward Dog Kickers I'm sure its not that big of a deal. And, the reason I ask is that the macbook deal is pretty good.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't need to "settle down", since I'm not upset. I just asked what that had to do with the OP's question. Even if it's a good deal, it's irrelevant, since no one is going to change locations/schools just to get a good deal on a Mac.

9. smileynev macrumors newbie

What if he goes to a large school and have a friend or relative in the market for a new Mac? What if want to subvert the system, "fight the man", or just get a good deal on a new Mac?

Now, as for the original posters question. He should get whatever system best suits his situation. If he needs a more powerful computer to edit video, play games on, or do other system taxing tasks he should get the imac. If he is looking to replace his powerbook with a faster portable computer, get the macbook. Both will perform day to day tasks like email and surfing very similarly.

10. circa3182 thread starter macrumors newbie

University of Missouri is the school

I am leaning towards the iMac just because I have the powerbook to take to class and what not.

11. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I don't know whether it is important to you but the iMac has a better GPU.