iMac or macBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by toonshorty, Feb 23, 2009.

1. toonshorty macrumors member

I'm currently on the windows side of things and absolutely hate it and after looking at the awesomeness of apple I showed my dad.

He now has an iPhone and a macBook Pro and I love it.

My question now is to go with a macBook or the new iMac.

I'm under 18 so budget is an issue, I'm trying to loan off my dad :eek:

I will be doing a good bit of coursework over the next years for GCSE/A-Levels and so on and am wondering whether portability would be a good plus. The only problem is I never really use laptops and the macBook trackpad is fantastic but I always have 2 fingers on it. I am currently working using a fail custom built PC with a 6 year old 17" moniter and prefer desktops.

My options could go either way depending on the specs of the new iMac but also the price (£1500 Limit). The only think is I would like the better graphics card as I will play CoD: WaW occasionally (mostly on PS3 though) but can't afford 24". Would apple let you have a 20" with a better graphics card?

So in other words:

macBook vs iMac 2009

Thanks,

~ toonshorty

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

This isn't actually the forum for this question.

Basically, if you plan to go away to school, or if you would like to have a computer to take notes with in class, get the MacBook. If you want something with a little more oomph, get the iMac.

The one thing I like about having a laptop is that I can take it to a local café, where it's easier to focus on studying and so forth. Well, I usually spend most of my time on Facebook and MacRumors anyway, but the thought is there.

No, the 20" iMac cannot be upgraded, either as a BTO or after the fact.

3. finnschi macrumors 6502

Go with the macbook, and hook it up to a Bigger screen, voila you just got yourself a Desktop ;) :cool::cool::cool:

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

... albeit a significantly slower desktop for more money. Don't get a laptop unless you need a laptop.

5. EB66 macrumors 6502

i would say if it is going to be your sole computer then get the macbook because i cannot see myself only having one mac that i can't take anywhere especially if you are going to be traveling to class