iMac or MacMini+AppleLED

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by starvingartist8, Oct 27, 2011.

?

iMac or MacMini+AppleLED

1. Mac Mini + LED

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. iMac

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. starvingartist8 macrumors regular

I use my computer for light 3d work, digital painting on large canvases, movies, music, browsing and zbrush.

Should I buy a mac mini + Apple LED or the iMac?

Is the temperature in the mini bad for stressful photoshop stuff?

My thoughts for the mini would be that I get the screen separate away from the computer and also can take it places if i choose (not that i require that). Also it is almost up to specs with the iMac (right?) and easier manual upgrades. I could upgrade every once in a while without paying for another screen.

iMac thoughts are temperature cooler, more powerful, screen included, mouse and keyboard included.

I tend to keep my computers for 5-6 years before replacing.

Whatever one I choose I will be waiting for the next revision of the two of them.

Thoughts? Thanks :)

2. Kendo macrumors 68000

Well if you upgrade 5 to 6 years without replacing, then what do you mean by your comments regarding upgrading every once in a while? The Mac mini is just as upgradeable as the iMac which means both are limited to upgrading the RAM.

The iMac is much more powerful than a Mac mini and for the value ($1000 LED display with $700 Mac mini), I would rather just get a $1700 iMac. Don't forget that with the Mac mini, you still need to purchase a keyboard and mouse.

You mentioned that you would take it places, but that means you still have to haul the keyboard, mouse, and ensure there is a monitor handy wherever you plan on traveling to. In that case, I'd just go with a MacBook Pro.

3. childoftheko4n macrumors regular

I think he means when it comes time to upgrade he can just buy another mini and keep all the other components instead of buying a whole new imac setup when he won't need the whole bundle.

I personally went the mac mini route, people seem to disgard them but they are pretty powerful.

4. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Agree with this, either go with iMac or Macbook Pro if you want portability.

5. froa macrumors member

If you want a 3-Screens display, go ahead with the 27' iMac; otherwise, still purchase the 27' iMac. Even though I am using Mac mini now.

6. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

The next Macmini may only appear in july 2012, while the new imac may appear in early 2012