IMac or macmini?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by illidan155, Oct 9, 2011.

1. illidan155, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

illidan155 macrumors member

Hello

i am thinking to buy an imac or a macmini (the one with the dedicate video card)

now i have a macbook pro 2010 plugged in an external 22 inch display with the apple extended keyboard and magic mouse + optical out in a 5.1 dolby audio system

so i wanted to get a more powerfull computer and sell this since my current one is becoming a bit slow specialy with graphics things or heavy task like final cut or aperture

for you guys what is better? since i have all most everything keyboard.mouse.display, i could buy the macmini but in the future i wanted to buy a new display since my current one is still an normal lcd

for aperture the main problem is the ram only 4 gb so i could upgrade the ram to 8 gb and go on with this pc until the applecare expire in about 1 year and half

what you think? should i invest in a imac or just buy a macmini and spare some money mabye for a macbook air or an ipad2

illidan155

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I prefer the mini and I have the i5 model you are after! It's a great little machine!!

3. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

I like both the mini and the iMac. One thing I do not like about the iMac is when they break. I think the mini is a better buy, you can have any size display you want, and speaking of displays, that's why I don't like the iMac at times.

Get the mini.

4. illidan155 thread starter macrumors member

well actualy i like the imac display but it is not a must i mean if i can save 500 US you know :)

more opinion are welcome i realy need a help to chose

thanks

5. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I have both but if I had to start over it would definitely be the mini. I like being able to choose my own display. Plus, it's easier to clean the cooling fan, swap out hard drives, etc...

6. illidan155 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have an iMac 24", but my wife has a mini. In some ways I'd prefer mini plus monitor since if something breaks I don't have to replace the whole thing. On the other hand the mini is not as powerful as an iMac.

8. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I agree 100%. There are less parts to go wrong as well. Don't get me wrong, I love my iMac, but I dread the day I have to take it apart to clean the dust out of it. Just in case you're wondering, I won't let those so called "genius's" touch my stuff. I'm beyond picky :)

9. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I went the other way, but I think it was more for the specs then anything. I was looking to replace/augment my holder C2D mini with something new. I was looking at the new i5 mini as well as the i5 iMac. I just decided and purchased the iMac. I still have the mini for iTunes server purpouses but live the new iMac. It was the quad core and 16GB of ram that really sold me.

The mini does have its advantages and if the specs are good enough for what you need, then yes, get the mini. Ability to get whatever monitor you want is a plus.

10. lc25 macrumors 6502

I have a 27 top spec iMac but in terms of value for money and your circumstances i would go for the mini. Just my two cents anyway

11. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I have my 2007 1.83ghz mini hooked up to my 4 year old 40" Samsung. For it's purpose it works great. I'm thinking about a new one though. I just love the way they look. Plus the extra speed can't hurt :)

[​IMG]

12. illidan155 thread starter macrumors member

haha :)

well the new pc will be the main home pc so for all the hard work then i will buy a macbook air for everything else

the only things that make me think is that at the moment my screen still work pretty well and i have already keyboard and mouse wich you find inside the imac that will be a bit useless for me

hmm

13. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

I would get extra RAM and continue to use your current setup if I were you.

Upgrading to a SSD would provide a big boost in performance as well.

In relation to iMac vs Mac mini:

Given that the iMac has an IPS display and better graphics card, the iMac is better system per dollar spent.

I would recommend the iMac over the Mac mini unless you want to use the Mac mini to connect to a TV.

Dual displays is a nice setup so the display that you have won't go to waste if you purchase an iMac.

Given that you have a Magic Mouse, I would order an iMac with a Magic Trackpad so the money spent on the Magic Mouse doesn't become redundant.

Also, get the keyboard model (wireless/wired) that you currently don't own to maximize your setup options.

In relation to MBA vs iPad2:

This depends on how you use your portable.

With iOS 5 being released soon, much of the encumbrance of an iPad will be eliminated via features such as OTA updates and iCloud.

If you don't need a machine that is more able to compliment the activities being done via your primary machine (Final Cut & Aperture), then I would recommend the iPad2.

If I didn't have any hardware at the moment, I would get an iMac and an iPad2.

FYI, my current setup is a Mac Mini connected to an ACD with an old MacBook as my portable.

I only use my portable for very basic computing tasks which is why I recommend the iPad2 over a portable with a built-in keyboard.

I was using the ACD with other peripherals (keyboard, mouse, & etc) with the MacBook until I purchased the Mac Mini.

A big factor in my decision to get the Mac mini was the cleaner setup that it creates when connected to a TV (despite the fact that it is not connected to a TV at the moment).

But, I do plan on getting an iMac in the future and replacing the MacBook with an iPad2 (or whatever is the most current generation at the time) once the MacBook no longer functions.

14. illidan155, Oct 9, 2011

illidan155 thread starter macrumors member

Hi thanks actually i have alread an apple extended keyboard (wired) because i use much the num pad so its better for me and it is already a pain to recharge the magic mouse i wont for sure take a wireless keyboard

dont know for the end of the month i will buy an iphone 4s and sell my old iphone 4 then if i can sell my macbook pro and buy the macmini + ipad 2 or just buy the macmini and keep the macbook pro for trip work ecc.. i am planing to go to japan in a few month so i need a notebook too

for the ipad2 i like it to write note browse internet and next year i will start the uni so i mided to use it to take note and study so for light job then a macbook air/ or my current pro for heavy duty and then the macmini at home for heavy duty eg aperture finalcut ecc

any suggrestion is welcome otherwise i might buy everything :p

edit: the main problem of my current MBP is the videocard it is still a nividia and is pretty hard to play any game even at the minimun resolution (well actually starcraft 2 work pretty well on high)

15. tears2040 macrumors 6502

If you want a more powerful computer then buy an iMac.

/ thread

16. t0mbola macrumors member

17. illidan155, Oct 9, 2011

illidan155 thread starter macrumors member

here my setup now the only mess is that there are many cable arround and the macbook himself take much space :/

anyway so should i keep the macbook and buy the macmini and dont buy the air/ipad?

Attached Files:

18. illidan155 thread starter macrumors member

19. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

If I had the choice by a mac mini or imac I will go with the imac imo.

20. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

One of my only issues with choosing Mac Mini is the display. Apple only sells one display, it's fine, I would even pay the $1000 eventually for it. Problem is, it's too big for my desk.

A third party display can be great, but not sure if it ruins the visual physical experience a bit.

21. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

If financial limitations are a factor to buying an iMac over a Mac mini while still keeping the MacBook Pro, then I would buy the Mac mini and keep the MacBook Pro rather than selling the MBP to purchase an iMac and a cheaper portable.

A factor in making this suggestion is the fact that you use Aperture for at least some level (amateur -> professional) of photography work. A MBP will facilitate this more than any other portable (MBA & iPad2) that you have mentioned.

22. illidan155 thread starter macrumors member

i think too it is not realy a finacial problem i have money to buy an imac or a macmini but since we can say i dont like to waste money since i have already the keyboard mouse and a working screen the only thing that i realy like of the imac is the all in one and the glossy display

23. illidan155 thread starter macrumors member

24. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

The mini is just too weak for me. Buying the 2010 i7 2.93 @$1499 was the perfect compromise. I moved my 24" Samsung to the left and now have both spanning 2 desks. It's great when editing multiple documents. I also play the occasional game so the weaker GPUs in the mini just don't work for me.

The 27" iMac display is wonderful but having both displays on definitely generates additional heat in my small office.

Cheers,

25. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

If you like your keyboard, mouse and display, I'd go for the Mini.

Assuming you don't game.

You could always get the iMac and add your current keyboard, mouse and display to it.

I was in a similar boat, I was going to go for the 21.5'' iMac, but I wouldn't have been able to afford Apple upgrading the HDD, so when the Mac mini came out, I opted for the quad core mode, then I got 8GB of RAM, a 128GB SSD and 750GB 7200 RPM HDD. The thing flies. And my displays are an older 20'' Apple Cinema Display and a new 27'' thunderbolt display.

Couldn't have worked out better. Plus now, if I upgrade in two years, my displays are still useful for my next computer and I can sell the Mini to pay towards my new desktop if I'd want to