iMac or MacPro gaming Recommendations

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BigDaveSmith, Mar 7, 2008.

1. BigDaveSmith macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. New to the forum.

I'm looking at buying an iMac or a MacPro for use as my primary computer, which means I'd like to dual-boot it with XP, and run games on it. My issue is that I'm concerned with the graphics cards currently in the desktops not being powerful enough for a real gamer.

The first option I am looking at, and the one I would prefer, both for cost and space, is the high-end 24" iMac. My reservation is that it contains an ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro with only 256MB, which puts out a weak 4.8GTexels/sec. While I feel like this might be enough to drive the 20" iMac's 1.7MP monitor, I'm extremely skeptical on the 24" 2.3MP monitor. Can anyone share specific gaming experiences, preferably with fairly high-end games?

The second option I am looking at is the Mac Pro, with the GeForce 8800GT, which seems a lot more reasonable, but still not ideal for a 1920x1200 res monitor. Were I looking at a PC option instead of mac, I would certainly look to dual cards with a SLI link to drive that kind of resolution. Again, does anyone have experience using a setup like this and gaming? I am looking for experience with modern, more high-end games, from Oblivion to Crysis, running at 1920x1200 resolution.

Any experiences you can share will be greatly appreciated, particularly if you can provide frame rates and resolutions on high-end games. Again, I'm sure the iMac will pump out great rates with Lego Starwars, but running Crysis on XP with these setups, I'm not so comfortable with.

Thanks everyone!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you are a serious gamer, you should not be looking at Macs but PCs. The iMac is a good casual gaming machine which get decent frame rates for newish games but for the real demanding ones you are looking at no AA/AF and medium level eye candy to get a smooth flow. The Mac Pro might be somewhat better but for those prices you could knock up a wicked SLi or xFire 3870X2 PC and still have money left over for a mini.

The iMacs card is a downclocked Mobility HD2600XT, FWIW.

3. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Yep I love my iMac, but it's not a hardcore gaming machine.

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The others are right, iMac gaming performance is really, really weak, even with the 2.8GHz processor option. You should maybe look into getting a Mac mini and a Windows gaming PC plus a nice large monitor.

5. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I have tested both the iMac and the MacPro with bootcamp for gaming and to be honest i did not like either. The MacPro preformed better after i upgraded the graphics card but still it was not as good as a PC for the same price. If you want to play games on your computer get a PC, if you can afford it get a mac laptop.

6. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

Macs are not for real gamers. If you want to really game get a PS3 or dedicated PC for it.