iMac or MBA

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Vandefilm, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Vandefilm macrumors regular

Hi all,

I am varily new mac user, I own a 2012 MBA since august and this is my first apple-experience. I love it so far and also have an iPhone 5. But I'm not the most experienced person when it comes to apple/mac's.

I use my MBA mainly for video-editing, and one of the things I edit is music-video's of me playing the piano. I record with the Yeti-blue mic. My setup (27inch Dell monitor) is upstairs and my piano is downstairs. So I use my MBA to record sound and a HD-camera to record video and edit it upstairs.
    I absolutely love the MBA, but since I'm not really travelling with it (other than in my house) I thought of selling my MBA and my Dell monitor and switching it for an iMac (also better for video-editing) and an iPad. The problem is, how do I record sound since my Yeti mic. only has USB and the iPad doesn't have a USB-port and I'm not going to transfer my iMac up- and downstairs all the time :D.

Any thoughts on what the best solution for me is?

2. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

3. pukingpixels macrumors member

Keep the MBA, sell the Dell monitor and buy the iMac?

4. Vandefilm thread starter macrumors regular

Ofcourse, but I was thinking in terms of money-saving. So selling MBA and Dell and buying iMac and iPad (doesnt need to be the iPad 4) is cheaper I was thinking?

5. mihai.ile macrumors member

why not sell the air, the monitor, buy an iMac and an older 13" macbook for less than a new iPad?
    It is not going to cost you that much this way and it does not matter that the old macbook will not be the fastest thing around since you will have the iMac for heavy things...

6. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Have you tried the USB camera connection kit for the iPad?

I have a Blue Snowball mic and it worked on my iPad 3 with the CCK. I only tried it once though and I now have an iPad mini (and no USB->Lightning adapter yet.)

7. medi.freak macrumors regular

sell the monitor, and the MBA 13"

buy yourself the iMac and a used 11" MBA !

best setup, if you ask me :D

8. Vandefilm thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the ideas! I think i'm gonna stick with my MBA and buy a 2011 iMac and sell my monitor. The new iMac is out of my budget.

9. Vandefilm thread starter macrumors regular

Oh shut up :D.