iMac or MBP + external

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wvuwhat, Aug 12, 2009.

1. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I know this has been done to death, sorry.

Here's my problem.

I'm a college graduate, going back to school for Photoshop at a local community college. I'm taking 2 classes to help me learn it, and it may become a profession (a lot of jobs I want require Ps skills, so I'm making myself a better job candidate) or I may realize I hate it and won't do it after this Fall semester.

My father is willing to buy me a new MBP and an external or an iMac. And yes, I know how fortunate I am. I'm blessed/fortunate enough to be offered this.

My problem arises when I try and choose. I have a 32" t.v. and it looks like I may be inheriting a 46" 1080P Samsung soon, because my parents are buying a 55" HDTV.

I am kind of leaning towards an iMac, because if I get the 46" it'll be in my living room area, at my parents house (I live in the basement, so I have major room) or when I move into a new apartment after I find a job (fingers crossed). That way, the t.v. will be in the main room and I'll have a 24" 2.66 ghz iMac in my room to play all of my movies and probably get a TV tuner.

The other part of me wants a MBP for use with my current 32" in my room, but I'd prefer not to have to hook it up and deal with unhooking/hooking up. With that said, I will most likely sell my 2.2 MB white from late 2007 and get a netbook if I were to get an iMac.

I'm at a crossroads and really don't know what to do. I don't know where I'm going to be in a few months. All I know is my 2.2/1gb/120gb white Macbook will not be able to handle it and my dad is offering me a handout.

What would you do in my position?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Assuming your job would provide you with a computer and that you would not be freelancing, I'd get the iMac.

3. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

Refurb store has a Refurbished MacBook Pro:

$1599
    2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    320GB hard drive
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400m/NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Built-in iSight camera
    Illuminated keyboard

Refurbished Mac mini:

$499
    2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1GB memory
    120GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M with 128MB memory

Total is $2100 and is around the same price as buying the current 2.66GHz MBP on student discount with a external monitor. You could hook up the mini to either one of your TV's.

4. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Thanks for the refurb nod, but I'm a student and would get a free touch, so I'm going to go that way.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

IMO, iMac, unless you need portability (you said you have MacBook already?). iMac has great screen and offers more power than laptop does

6. sirjpbear macrumors newbie

Does the iMac really have more 'power'? In addition, what is the largest external monitor that the uMBP 13" will support at higher resolutions? The quality of the image on an external monitor would be the deciding factor between the uMBP 13 or the uMBP 15 w/9600. I REEEEAAALLY need a technical answer!

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Both, 13" and 15" supports up to 30" 2560x1600 display.

8. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Up to $1920x1200 with the $29 miniDisplayport -> Single-link DVI adapter and any higher res needs the $99 miniDisplayport -> Double-link DVI adapter

9. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

Imac having more power is only arguable. The graphics on it are slightly better than the high end 15" mbp, but they still use laptop parts on the inside. However, the iMac will provide more storage as it uses 3.5" drives.