iMac or MBP for Dev

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by varchar, Jun 29, 2009.

?

iMac or MacBook Pro

1. iMac

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. MacBook Pro 15"

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. varchar macrumors member

Hi,

I am trying to decide best hardware to get for development purposes....

It seems that I can get more hardware for the money by going with iMac versus a MBP.

The other important factor for me is dual (or even triple) monitors. I know with an iMac you can add another monitor (not sure about 3rd monitor???) but with MBP you can only add 1 monitor and have the small 15" (or 17") screen....

Thoughts? What makes more sense?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Well, I have the 17" MBP on an mStand next to the 23" ACD and it is fantastic
    You might need more real estate, but for that I use Spaces quite effectively

As far as hardware, what exactly will you be doing that the MBP can't handle?

I like the portability of the MBP if I need it
    You won't be taking the iMac to coffee shop any time soon ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. varchar thread starter macrumors member

I will primarily be using it for development purposes (develop iPhone apps and Mac Apps). Currently I develop on my Macbook white, but not enough real estate, even after connecting an external 24" monitor. So I was figuring on getting the iMac so I can have 2 dual 24" monitors... :) Do you know if a 3rd can be connected?

Yes, the portability factor is a big one.... iMac will have to be stationary....

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If portability is an issue, how is this even a hard decision...?

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

At one point, it seems that if you are going to need that much screen real estate, you might be seriousness to just go the Mac Pro route? Why do you need 3 24" screens to develop in app that runs on a screen that is 3.5 inches?

6. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

You can get a 17 inch MacBook Pro with a 1920x1200 (same as 24 inch) screen and hook it to a 30 inch monitor with the mini displayport to dual link DVI adapter.

Same space as the iMac and you can move it. It's no MacBook Air but it is still better than most 15 inch PC's.

If you need more you have to get the Mac Pro.

EDIT: the MBP (only the 17 or the old 15) can have more than the iMac with an expresscard video card.

7. varchar thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to all for nice suggestions.

Really the only reason I was considering the iMac is because of cost... seems that for $1499 I can get a 2.66mhz, 24", and similar specs (w/o monitor) a MBP can be $500 more...

Also anyone know if you can connect 2 "additional" monitors to a MBP? If that is even possible, then I think its best to go with MBP, since then I get portability, performance, etc... :)

Really only reason why I was considering for iMac is because of possibility of extending to more monitors.

and btw, more real estate is key for me...

8. varchar thread starter macrumors member

I think my plans have changed a bit... I think I will just get "both" a iMac and a MBP 15" :) Makes my decision easier to do... LOL..

Now I need to decide on whether to get MBP 15" NOW and wait until iMac is upgraded...

What to do.... :)

9. varchar thread starter macrumors member

Now my debate is whether to get the 15" MBP or the 17" MBP. I am thinking is it worth paying the extra $300+ for 2" and some more space (and a bit better video card which i really do not care much about)....

I already am doing my dev on the MB 13" but want more power :)

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Buying 2 computers is a silly idea imo. Just means you'll want to replace them at the same time.

11. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

In my opinion, since you have the 13" and are getting another, go with real estate - 17" MBP. Furthermore, I do not know if it would work with MiniDisplayPort to DVI, but the Matrox TripleHead2Go is worth a look if you need screen space.
    Miles really has a good point here.

12. varchar thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the opinions.

So now I have made decision to go with MBP, especially since I can get the mStand and the Matrox TripleHead2Go which will provide me the real estate.

Looks like I should get the 15" 2.66mhz or maybe shall I just add the $500 to get the 17" with more space and power....

Anyone have the new 17" MBP? What do you think of the weight? Is it really that portable? If I am going to the the MBP, I will most likely carry it with me wherever I go....