iMac or MBP (replacement for 2009 MBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by txag2011, Aug 22, 2014.

1. txag2011, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

txag2011 macrumors newbie

My 13" MBP was stolen while traveling to work about a month ago. The computer that was stolen had the same specs as the one in the link.http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MD101LL/A&step=config#

I am trying to decide between the non-retina MBP or the 21.5" iMac (linked here) http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac?product=ME086LL/A&step=config#
    The retina MBP just doesn't have enough storage i'm afraid.
    I mainly use my computer for document and spreadsheet creation and storage, music, and internet surfing. The main reason that I am considering the iMac is the storage. I have ~105 GB of stuff on my external hard drive; most of which would be moved to my new computer. I also have an iPad mini and was considering buying a keyboard case and using that as a laptop.

So should I:

1. Buy iMac and use iPad as laptop
    2. Buy non-retina MBP
    3. Buy rMBP and store rarely used files on external HD

any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Difficult to say

Do you use your laptop away from your desk much? If not then the imac is the one, although I would suggest a fusion drive as the ssd is what makes all modern macs such a pleasure to use.

Basically the cMBP is 3 year old hardware and for the small price difference the benefits of the rMBP are well worth it. better screen, better connectivity for modern peripherals, 4k support, better wifi, better battery life, better GPU, and the ssd is blistering fast.

Buy the rMBP if you need the portability and as you say use an external HDD, or even a networked storage device that you can access whenever you can get online.

----------

The refurb 2013 rMBP is a great deal and you will get a 256gb ssd for the same price as a new one with 128gb. Other than that they are pretty much the same and apple refurbished are as new with the same warranty options.