iMac or MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shaun132, Nov 14, 2010.

1. shaun132 macrumors newbie

I currently own an iPad which i use to take to class. I want to buy a 27inch imac for home, or MBP 13inch. I am anxious to see if their is a new MBP in the works and if its going to be worth buying or is it going to be redundant carrying a macbook pro and imac

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

What will your uses be? How are you doing with just the iPad for mobile computing? If you don't need anything extra while away from home, definitely go iMac.

3. keaide macrumors regular

Your choice would depend on your needs. If you need a portable workhorse to team up alongside your iPad, go for the MBP. If not, get one of the gorgeous 27 inch iMacs, which also give you more power for the money. As the iMac cannot be really carried around so much, the question of redundancy only comes up if you don't want to have a portable device. For the iPad, it cannot really be compared to a MBP, and is mainly a device to consume, whereas the MBP is a device that can also produce. So it's up to your needs.

4. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

My iMac sits upstairs in my office unused...well it gets used as an expensive server. My MBP is just so versatile I never use the desktop.

5. srharris22 macrumors member

very pleased w/ iMac + iPad

we struggled w/ what to purchase when going from 2 PC laptops to being a Mac based home. We opted for the iMac + iPad combo in stead of say the 15" MBP (pretty much same expense either way we went). we have been extremely pleased. The iMac gives us an incredible screen to look at (we chose 21.5" for cost reasons) and the iPad gives us all the portability in we wanted.
    personal opinion was that I did not care to only have a 13" to 15" monitor in my home, I wanted something larger.