Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmastafunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
After a long run with my emac I decided to get a new mac. I want it mostly for gaming. Question is, would a 20" imac 2.0 w/ 2gigs of ram be much of a drop off in gaming performance than a 2.16 MBP w/ 2 gigs of ram. And would it be worth it to upgrade the card to 256? Thanks for all help!

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
For gaming I'd go with the 20" iMac 2.0 Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, and 256 video ram over a MBP. You get a bigger screen and it's cheaper I think... the. .16 speed increase will be less noticeable than the enlarged screen space.

Chasealicious

macrumors member
May 6, 2005
Fayetteville, AR
Get the iMac. The performance difference based on the processor will be miniscule; however, the faster hard drive in the iMac will help you with load times. If you're looking for graphics performance, the 256 VRAM upgrade is definitely worth the money - especially considering that you won't have the option to upgrade later.

The MBPs still have too many performance/build quality issues to rely on as a main machine. If you don't need portability, the iMac wins easily - especially when you look at the pricetag.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
a PC would be an ulitmate gaming machine with a cheaper price. no idea why you choose a mac. :confused: what games are there for Macs?

Chasealicious

macrumors member
May 6, 2005
Fayetteville, AR
DarkNetworks said:
a PC would be an ulitmate gaming machine with a cheaper price. no idea why you choose a mac. :confused: what games are there for Macs?

Well, frankly, the tables have turned on that question. Now, your standard wintel box is the one-trick pony of the computing world. Grab an Apple machine and you can run any and all games, native to Mac or PC. Grab a PC and you...well...can't.

If you want a computer, you want a Mac. If you want a gaming machine, you want a Nintendo. Why some people choose to game on a PC, I don't know - either way, simply load a copy of Windows onto your Intel iMac and you've got the largest game catalog on the planet - bigger, in fact, than the library for any Dell or AlienWare P (piece) C (of crap.)

ironic23

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
I'd get the iMac if portability wasn't an issue. The 20" display would be nice and i don't think that .16GHz difference would be too noticable. But if you need portability, get the MBp, definitely. It's an awesome machine.

pmastafunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
I am going with mac because my family has always used macs and am used to their ease of use. It looks like I will be going for the upgraded iMac, but do you think the 250 hard drive is ample? I do the occasional 5 minute movies, have little database of photos, and only about 1200 songs.

***EDIT****
To run games do I only need windows xp and bootcamp? if so than what is the deal with parallel?

zoziw

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2006
Canada
pmastafunk said:
After a long run with my emac I decided to get a new mac. I want it mostly for gaming. Question is, would a 20" imac 2.0 w/ 2gigs of ram be much of a drop off in gaming performance than a 2.16 MBP w/ 2 gigs of ram. And would it be worth it to upgrade the card to 256? Thanks for all help!

For gaming I would take the iMac and the card upgrade.

Topono

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2006
Chasealicious said:
If you want a gaming machine, you want a Nintendo.

I'm sorry if I come off a little too hard on this, but please, NEVER say ''a Nintendo''. You sound like my Grandmother. :p

Topono

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2006
Also, I have a quick question. I might buy a MacBook Pro as soon as Merom chips are thrown into it. Now, the only game I plan on playing is World of Warcraft, and maybe HL2. Would a MBP be able to play these games as fast as an iMac? Because right now I am debating between the MacBook Pro, iMac, and Power Mac.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Topono said:
Also, I have a quick question. I might buy a MacBook Pro as soon as Merom chips are thrown into it. Now, the only game I plan on playing is World of Warcraft, and maybe HL2. Would a MBP be able to play these games as fast as an iMac? Because right now I am debating between the MacBook Pro, iMac, and Power Mac.

Well, since the MBPs are more or less an iMac in a notebook shape, yes, they should run fine.

You could also wait for the Mac Pros, which is what I'm doing (but I'm not looking to buy for another 6 months or so...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.