iMac or MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ldw87, Sep 21, 2007.

1. ldw87 macrumors newbie

After the sudden death of my Windows-based laptop, and hearing a ton of Apple-praise lately, I'm turning to Apple for my next computer.

I've narrowed down my options to either:

- Middle-range iMac
    (20", 2.4GHz, upgraded 2GB memory, 500GB HD, ATI Radeon 2600Pro w/ 256
    MB memory - $1,834 with student discount) or

- Low-end MBP
    (15", 2.2GHz, 2GB memory, 160GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M w/ 128MB
    SDRAM - $2,176)

Portability and the small price difference aren't an issue, and I'm not heavy into gaming - I'm really just concerned with speed and lasting-power. For me, the iMac specs stand out in terms of speed, hard drive, and aesthetics, but I've heard that the Pro lines are just all around better in terms of performance, even when comparing MBPs to iMacs. Opinons?

2. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

What types of things do you intend on using your computer for? Just email and internet or much more?

3. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

If your a first timer, then just get either the macbook or macbook pro. You will most probably end up buying an imac later on at some stage as I did after my macbook :)

Still use the macbook a lot as I am out and about quite a bit.

4. ldw87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not all too much more - Internet, E-Mail, basic games, some photoshop use (nothing intense), music, movies, presentations...

5. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

If thats all you need an imac or a macbook could be the option for you. If you need portability you can go for the macbook.

6. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

If your replacing a loptop then I would say get another laptop, if you can hold out to see if the new MacBooks come out next month then it might be worth the wait, also you will be able to buy the topend MacBook when its released and it will be cheaper then the MBP and possibly even the iMac