iMac or MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crimsonkid, Apr 4, 2008.

1. crimsonkid macrumors member

I apologise in advance for my poor posting skills, this is my first ever post.

Here is my dilemma.

I am currently 17 and have just started my three year university course, I am going to be covering large amounts of photoshop work, 3d rendering and video editing.

I also work part-time for my dad doing graphic design work.

I am currently using my dads old powerbook g4, 1.33ghz and its starting to compete with my oven!

Im choosing between and new MBP 15" or waiting to get an updated iMac 24"

Here is what i am looking to get:

- 4gb of RAM
    - 2.4/2.5ghz
    - and either 320gb hd for the iMac or 250gb hd for the MBP

With my studies I think the portability and freedom of a laptop would be wonderful as well as convenient. Although I would purchase an external LCD, keyboard and mouse to go along with it for my larger and more complex work.

My other option is to get the iMac

I am greatly leaning towards the MBP but am being stopped by my father who insists I should get the iMac.

Does anyone have any opinions or good advantages I can use to convince him otherwise?

Again I am really sorry for my layout and english skills

Thankyou to anyone that posts

2. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

I would definitely go with the MBP. I bought an iMac a couple of months ago and regret not having portability.

3. crimsonkid thread starter macrumors member

I think because I am a student it would be an added bonus,
    however is there much difference in speeds?

I have heard it can be alot?

4. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

I've only used a MBP for an hour or so in a Mac shop - speed seemed a little faster than the iMac but not a great deal in it. The real advantage is portability ... especially for a student. Think you'll kick yourself if you go for an iMac and you then get to uni without a laptop.... (unless you have a laptop as well).

5. crimsonkid thread starter macrumors member

If i already had a laptop I think I would save for a MP
    But sadly no, I have to agree, MBP has so much power plus the portability.

Any recommendations for LCD screens or bluetooth mice?
    Im not looking for high priced but i need 22-22" screen hopefully under $600AU

6. Igantius macrumors 65816

From what you've said in your first post (which was wonderfully clear), there's very little in it - for example, see http://www.barefeats.com/imacal4.html

I don't think this will radically change with the new iMacs.

As you would get an external display with the MBP, I can't see the advantage of getting an iMac.

I would recommend getting an external drive, especially as you intend to edit video.

7. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

8. crimsonkid thread starter macrumors member

I am not sure if that was a joke on my part?

Thanks for the link, I have already been thinking of purchasing a USB 2 320 or 500gb external drive

Do you know what the difference is between the 256 and 512 video card?

9. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I would love to recommend the MBP but; If Dad's paying for it, get the imac and keep his PB for portability. If he caves and gets you a MBP, I hope he's willing to live with it. In other words, I hope he never complains about your MBP. ie; dropped, stolen, spilled on, left somewhere, hinge broke, hard to repair, probably runs hotter, still needs external add-ons, etc.

10. crimsonkid thread starter macrumors member

Using the PB isn't an option, plus its horrible
    17" runs like an oven, and the hinge is very loose so the screen falls forward every now and then

My thinking was that dad is paying so a MBP would be even better because I am getting an extra couple $100, although I have to buy th screen and extras myself, I', happy to live with that.

Did anyone know about the benefits of 512 over 256?

Thanks for your help

11. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I'm a dad with 3 grown dependent children that are trying to get an extra couple $1000 out-of-me;)