iMac or MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gazfocus, Sep 20, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Hi Guys,
    I am looking for a new computer but I am aware that the notebooks are likely to be updated within the next few weeks. Has anyone heard anything about the iMac's?

Basically, I am currently a windows user and I am looking to switch fully over the next 4 months (starting with either a laptop or a desktop, then buying the other of the 2 in January/Feb), however, if I decide to wait for a new Macbook/pro, I will need to purchase an interim laptop (probably a windows based) which is no biggy because I can then use this for testing purposes to make sure my websites work ok in Windows, however, this 'dis'advantage will set me back about £300.

As far as a desktop system goes, I was originally going to leave that purchase until January and buy a Mac Pro (as I already have a brand new 23" ACD, and plan on buying a 2nd one), but I am now wondering if I would be better off getting a 24" iMac instead, which would save me around £1000 (including saving the cost of the extra screen).

What do you guys think?

And before I get all the 'if you need it now, buy it...' part of what I'm asking is whether or not it is worth spending £300 on a temporary laptop which waiting for the new ones to come out

p.s. I will be using my Mac/s for graphic design, web design, some video editing (pretty basic), and sound recording.

2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Desktop or Laptop?

Answer that and you will have your answer.

You might be better off grabbing the iMac now and the laptop later as far as I can decipher your post. If I were in your shoes, I'd spend the extra cash on a refurbished 8 core or 4 core Mac Pro since it will last me much longer, and it's going to be updated anytime soon, and if it is, you'll still get plenty use out of it.

3. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

That's the thing...I want both eventually, it's just I'm not sure what to buy first

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

To a large extent, what you choose to buy will boil down to where your preference lies on the old power versus portability argument. If you need/want power, choose the iMac; if portability is your over-riding need, opt for the MBP. They are both excellent machines.

If funds are an issue, wait for the updates and go for a refurb, when you will have the peace of mind and security of knowing that Apple have rigorously tested the computer, and it will come with all of the required warranties, in addition to a rather generous discount.
    Good luck and cheers

5. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

The iMac is plenty power for the uses you mentioned. And the iMac is not due for an update this year while the macbooks are getting updated very soon. So you might as well get the iMac first.