iMac or mini as Main Computer/HTPC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JeySpec99, May 16, 2011.

1. JeySpec99 macrumors newbie

Hello I'm new to this forum and will be a first time Mac user once I make up my mind. I'm contemplating wether to wait for the new mini or just go with the new 27" iMac. This will be my main computer used for syncing iPhones & iPad, web browsing, light video editing, torrenting, ripping dvd collection & will would like to make it my central media hub for my music and movies. The computer will be in the "man cave" which sits next to the living room and I would like to feed video to my LCD TV using Plex. My original idea was just to wait for the mini being I already have a monitor & keyboard but then I was thinking being the mac is just a much better machine that I would be future proofing myself from having such an outdated machine 2 or 3 years from now.

I have no experience with Mac computers so what do you think is a better fit for my needs? Will the mini fit my needs or is it worth going for the iMac?

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but I'm just not sure what to go for. Thanks a bunch in advance.

2. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

The mini would fit your needs and would be great to pair to a TV. I would wait though until the lineup is refreshed as this one is quite old now.

3. willieva macrumors 6502

Using a mini as a computer connected to your tv is not that great. I used to do it. It works ok as an htpc, and not so great as a computer.

You might want to consider getting an apple tv. Airplay is pretty cool, and is just going to get better(hopefully). Being able to control your media from your ipad/iphone is kind of nice. Plus it's only $100.

An imac as your media server with an apple tv hooked to your tv is a pretty good way to go.

4. JeySpec99 thread starter macrumors newbie

The idea of the apple tv did cross my mind but I would like 1080p and AC3 audio into my surround. From what I recall iTunes doesn't support Dolby.(correct me if I'm wrong). I think as of now I'm heading towards getting the iMac. It's just a better bang for the buck and I think it will last me longer. Unless they come out with a nice refresh of the mini before the free iPod touch deal is over. Not that i need an iPod touch but I'm just thinking I can sell it to make some money back.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Anymore will be welcomed Thanks