Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdafan

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
No. Don't repeat my mistake.

My needs are the same as yours but I did not realize it in 2009.
Went ahead and bought an iMac. Realise that the display is on when it was server as a media player and doing downloading. I knew I made the wrong choice and bought a mac mini 2.53ghz then.
2010 - bought a 2010 Mac mini
2011 - bought a 2011 Mac mini

Never look back since.
For 2011 Mac mini, all you need is a little upgrade on your RAM (if you are getting a basic 2gb Mac mini).
If it is to be left running 24x7 and you are just using it for browsing/email, personally I do not see a need for SSD (you don't boot up/shutdown/open up app). For me, I just leave all my email, Safari, iTunes, Plex up and running all the time. And for that, I have 8gb RAM.

Hi, I'm looking at upgrading my desktop Windows PC and think I'm going to switch to Mac, just not sure which one to get.

It would mainly be used as an iTunes server and media downloader, but also for some web browsing and email etc.

The Mini seems like a good option, as it uses little power so can be left on all the time, and seems like it has enough power for what I need.

But I can see a lot of threads on this forum about various upgrades (adding SSD, more RAM etc), and about how it struggles with having a few applications open. I don't want to buy a new machine which will then struggle with my normal usage (browser with 10 tabs open, iTunes, Tweetdeck, Torrenting, then IM, Skype etc running in the background).

It seems like it might be a bit of a false economy to save the costs of an iMac, but then have to buy a monitor, SSD, extra RAM just to get it to a usable level. Should I just get an iMac instead?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
You. You'll care when you realize you blew $250 (old hardware value difference) on nothing.

Did you read? He needs a new computer today.

If we follow your line of thinking, he will regret buying a 2012 mini when the 2014 comes out.

Buy what you need (if you NEED it) today.

There is always new hardware coming out, and new hardware often has BUGS until it has had them shaken out over a period of months (e.g.: sandy bridge SATA controller, ipad3 screen, pentium FDIV bug, LION, etc).

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
You. You'll care when you realize you blew $250 (old hardware value difference) on nothing.

If you buy at the right now,you keep Apple's most recent products for longer. Plus it's not like an upgrade stops the older Mac from using applications that are on the machine under the old OS. Eith

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
If you buy at the right now,you keep Apple's most recent products for longer. Plus it's not like an upgrade stops the older Mac from using applications that are on the machine under the old OS. Eith

The upside of being close to a refresh is that the current-gen models are already at a nice discount in the refurb store. I just picked up a refurb 2011 Mini Server for $849. I'd have a hard time being convinced to buy a new one this close to a refresh.

BlueFinch

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2012
Hamm, Germany
@Whargoul The dual core Sandy Bridge CPUs are more than enough for this kind of work.

The Next update may will bring the Quad core Ivy Bridge, but performance per clock will just raise 3-5%. Show me where the OP would use the two extra cores...

the read

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
Thanks, yeah I would definitely upgrade the RAM straight out of the box, and probably from somewhere like Crucial rather than from Apple.

I've been using computers for similar purposes for over 10 years now, and I've never edited a photo or video, so I'm not buying with that in mind.

It sounds like a Mini i5 might be the best option. Should I get the refurb'd one now or will it be significantly reduced after the refresh?

I would recomend the Mini over the small iMac. Mainly because you can upgrade SSD with ease. This is by far the biggest improvement you can make to any machine. I would also pay the extra and get the mid level mini. Probably not really needed for what your going to use it for, but the extra RAM (2 GB) and better graphics card make it a cost effective upgrade.

You can put whatever monitor you want and upgrade indipendently when ever you require. This will also create a longer lifespan for the computer and iMac screens are not that good.

I would opt for an Apple keyboard. But stay away from the Magic Mouse. It's hideous and continually does things you don't intend. The Apple mouse has always been bad. It's the one area Apple over engineer. Remember the round mouse. What a fail.

All in, I think you will find OSX a happy alternative to the Microsoft problems of today.

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I use a magic trackpad and it is great. I also have a magic mouse which I love. You just stroke it gently to scroll. Maybe you have big hands. I'm female and I find it extremely easy to control, though I prefer my trackpad. I use the mouse on scroll bars only these days.

I have a late 2009 Mac Mini with 4GB of RAM. It runs forever, never crashes, never has to be rebooted. My husband has a current 2011 Mac Mini for one of his computers at work and he says it crashes several times a day.

I would opt for an Apple keyboard. But stay away from the Magic Mouse. It's hideous and continually does things you don't intend. The Apple mouse has always been bad. It's the one area Apple over engineer. Remember the round mouse. What a fail.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
I have a late 2009 Mac Mini with 4GB of RAM. It runs forever, never crashes, never has to be rebooted. My husband has a current 2011 Mac Mini for one of his computers at work and he says it crashes several times a day.

If a Mac crashes without obvious hardware problems, blame the software. My MacBook Pro 2009 crashed several times once, but I found the software bug and now everything is fine. It never crashed before or after this unfortunate bug, so no reason to blame the new Mini.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I've had 2 mac mini's now. The first one was a 2009 model and then I upgraded to a 2011 server model with the i7 2.0GHz quad-core. I then took one of the hard drives out and installed a 240 GB OWC SSD SATA III and upped the RAM to 8GB. I have never been happier with a setup. Yeah, you could say the cost was close to the iMac, but I already have keyboard, mouse and fantastic high end IPS display. This Mini will be good to go for few years, so in the end the money will have been worth it. I am using the removed 500gb drive in a little external case to take with me on the go with my notebook.

I do a good bit of photo, video editing, not to mention have been ripping my library of purchased movies. This quad-core using Handbrake which takes advantage of the extra cores is freaking amazingly fast.

I've had buddies with iMac's that lost the display shortly after the warranty ran out. Basically they are pretty useless at that point and I am never going that route. They could have purchased Apple Care to extend their warranty period, but didn't.

It's all a matter of choice. In regards to waiting for the next best thing. To me that is just foolish. The OP clearly said he needed something now. So, what was he suppose to do. Just go without a computer till Apple decides to do a refresh. Some people! JEEZ! I am sure the next refresh will feature more quad-core processors, but they will only be slightest faster than what I already have and not enough for me to be worried about. I sort of feel like by buying the model I did I have in a way sort of refresh proofed myself for a couple of years anyway. hehehe.

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
If someone wants to play games, can the current Mac Mini GPU do the job? My 2009 cannot. I don't want another Mac Pro, which was my previous computer as it is overkill. The graphics card is on the motherboard, so I cannot upgrade my Mini. I will not ever buy a PC, even just for gaming. I have Boot Camp now and I have to say that it never gets used. Waste of space.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
If someone wants to play games, can the current Mac Mini GPU do the job?

The big question is: Which games? It can play Blizzard games like Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3, which are amongst the best Mac-ports and don't need too much power in the first play, just fine. But you won't be able to play for example Metro 2033 or Crysis in adequate speed (although the latter is said to work on minimum settings, I wouldn't bet on it). Bottom line: Older, not too graphic intense games work just fine, but forget to play every new game - especially in the time to come.

mstruve

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
Yep, I waited another month and nothing came out, so I ordered a base model and 8GB RAM yesterday, should arrive today.

I hadn't checked this thread for a while but am pleased with my choice having now read the responses.

I will see how I get on with it for a while before thinking of upgrading things like keyboard, trackpad, SSD, monitor etc, but I like the fact that I'll have a decent spec, compact, almost noiseless machine which I can leave running and make peripheral, incremental upgrades to, and it cost me less than half the price of an iMac.

Thanks for all the replies.

Pheo

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
Yep, I waited another month and nothing came out, so I ordered a base model and 8GB RAM yesterday, should arrive today.

I hadn't checked this thread for a while but am pleased with my choice having now read the responses.

I will see how I get on with it for a while before thinking of upgrading things like keyboard, trackpad, SSD, monitor etc, but I like the fact that I'll have a decent spec, compact, almost noiseless machine which I can leave running and make peripheral, incremental upgrades to, and it cost me less than half the price of an iMac.

Thanks for all the replies.

This was why I went with one! enjoy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.