iMac or new Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Goldfire, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Goldfire macrumors member

Goldfire

I currently have a Macbook Pro that is about a year and a half old (the last revision before the unibody ones were released), with 4GB of RAM and a 2.6ghz core 2 duo, 17" screen. I have been notified by my CPA that I can basically get a new computer for free due to a special tax credit, so I am trying to figure out how to best take advantage of this. I was planning on getting a new Macbook Pro in the spring when the new revision came out, but I might as well use this opportunity for a free one now.

I own a web development firm, so I do programming and design work (I am also a college student). I would sell my current Macbook Pro if I get a new one.

iMac
    Pros:
    - Large 27" screen
    - More powerful (8GB RAM, Quad Core i7)
    - More space on the screen for designing and programming
    - I wouldn't have to be packing up my MBP everyday to go to class
    Cons:
    - Have to deal with syncing annoyances

Macbook Pro
    Pros:
    - Obviously portable
    - Don't have to deal with syncing files on the computers
    - Solid state drive (not sure how much speed boost I would actually get)
    - I'm out a lot and on campus working a lot, so I would probably use this more
    - There's a really annoying scratch in the middle of the screen on my current MBP that I wouldn't have to stare at anymore
    - Longer battery, though I don't run off of the battery all that much anyway
    Cons:
    - Not sure how much faster this would really be over my current Macbook Pro (I would upgrade new one to 3.06ghz core 2 duo and a solid state drive)
    - Smaller 128gb hard drive (though I have plenty of space on my 200gb right now, over half is empty)

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

As you are in college, I would always get a MacBook Pro, but right now doesn't seem to be the greatest of times.

3. Goldfire thread starter macrumors member

Goldfire

Well I still do a lot of work for my business from my desk in my apartment.

4. brasscat macrumors 6502

brasscat

I actually have both an iMac 27" incher and a 2.53 Macbook Pro 15".

While I love the screen on the iMac, the MBP is more versatile. You can take it anywhere, AND it drives a large monitor so you can essentially get a big screen Mac as well. The new MBP's battery is killer... no need to drag around a power cord...ever!

5. Goldfire thread starter macrumors member

Goldfire

Yeah that longer battery looks really nice, though I'm usually where I can plug in anyway and have never had issues with running out of power during class, etc.

6. promadtri macrumors newbie

7. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

keep the pro for portability,class work, and get a imac for work stuff or just mix. I dont think syncing would be that bad get a flash drive and tada easy peazie.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

I'd get the iMac and keep the MBP that you already own. :)

9. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

Keep your mbp and get an imac too[​IMG] you won't regret it... The mbp can be your partable machine but its nice to also have a sturdy desktop there when you get back to your apartment

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

There's valid reasons behind either choice. Go to an apple store or a best buy and lay hands on both models (in this case the 27" i5 can stand in for it's brawnier brother). When making a decision like this, there's always a subjective, almost visceral, element to it.

That said, do you use programs that specifically take advantage of multiple processor cores? Would you be able to use mobile me or a usb thumb drive to do syncing? How much does that scratch on the screen really bother you?

If it wasn't for the fact that the imac is at the beginning of it's production cycle and the macbook pro is probably due for a refresh in a few months, I'd probably say to get the macbook pro for the unibody features previously mentioned, the scratch on your screen, and the potentially defective nvidia 8600 chip in your system.

11. Goldfire thread starter macrumors member

Goldfire

Thanks for the good advice! I'm going to try and get over to the Apple store later today to try the two out.

12. mark-itguy macrumors regular

If the sync issue is just data (not raw video), look at Dropbox! Get the free 2GB one to start.

www.dropbox.com

13. Goldfire thread starter macrumors member

Goldfire

Yeah I've been looking at Dropbox and Live Mesh since last night which is starting to mitigate that issue.